1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz 9.2 Shuttle question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass7858, Oct 4, 2013.

1. bass7858

bass7858

Apr 11, 2009
    central florida
    OK! I'm old fashioned and all i have ever used is 1/4 in speaker cables.
    Just got my new 9.2 in today and was wondering if anyone could tell me if the speakon connectors are the type you can also use a 1/4 inch plug with?

if not...can i buy such an adaptor as my current cab is 1/4 only? i'm at work and have not had the time to READ the manual yet.
    Thanks for any help

2. Abacobob

Abacobob

Nov 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    You can get a speakon to 1/4" cable. You may also be able to find an adapter, but I haven't seen one those. Enjoy the new amp!

3. bass7858

bass7858

Apr 11, 2009
    central florida
    Thank you!

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If the jack is green, it can accommodate a quarter-inch plug. Otherwise, go with the adapter RFR recommended above.

5. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I have one, and tried to do it. Its speakon only. Adapter is the way to go.

6. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    No.
    Changing the cabinet to SpeakOn is the way to go. :D

7. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Don't use an adapter.

Get a 1/4" to Speakon cable or swap the jack in the cabinet.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    This...

...or this...

- georgestrings

9. bass7858

bass7858

Apr 11, 2009
    central florida
    LOL! Have a 1212/6/1 LDS that should be here mid next week. It has the speakon connectors.

Just gassin to fire this little head up.
    Thanks for the advice guys

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    IIRC, shorting the speaker cable on any SMPS amp(like your 9.2) can let out the magic smoke - which definitely makes a compelling argument for going speakon only on both ends... IMO/IME, once you get used to using speakons, you won't want to go back to 1/4"...

I've used speakon to 1/4" cables many times - just be aware of what "can* happen, and act accordingly...

- georgestrings

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    What's the problem with using an adapter? And why would a properly used 1/4" cable present a short circuit?

12. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

^That's my question. I do use speakons on both ends, but have adapters on some 1/4" cables as backup.

13. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    When using 1/4" plugs, be sure to turn the amp off when making and breaking connections.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    An adapter requires the use of two 1/4" connections, instead of just one - truth is, I don't view ANY 1/4" connections to be a good thing in regards to a bass cab speaker circuit, so one is better than two, IMO... After all, 1/4" connections cannot carry as much current(wattage) as a speakon - including one where it isn't necessary can't be a good thing...

A 1/4" plug can create a short if it becomes unplugged - I'm sure we've all seen that - whereas a speakon doesn't do that... I switched over to speakon only a few years ago, and have never regretted the decision for a second... I made up a couple of 1/4" to speakon cables "just in case", but almost never use them...

Also, see Andy's response above mine - alot of people don't do that 100% of the time...

- georgestrings

15. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Speakons are the way to go.. At times i wish the Genz had the Dual type that also take the 1/4". But accidents do happen.
    My SM9.2 is in a 4 space SKB with my DBX unit that i use for my larger gigs with two cabs... My crew packed my amp and left the cables ( speakon to 6ft cable to 1/4' end) attached to the amplifiers outputs..
    I was on a club gig two days later and only brought one cab with me.
    I plugged in the DI XLR, the power to the wall and one speaker cable to the one cab, but left the other cable stowed away inside the rack but still connected .. (forgetting its a 1/4" on the end of the stowed cable).
    I turn the amp on.. And it thumped as it went into protect mode and the protect light was flashing .. At first i didn't realize what was going on..
    My big mistake !!!!
    What happened was the 1/4" opened end of the stowed cable was touching the metal chassis or rack rails shorting the output..

I unplugged the cable and turned the amp on again . All was fine. the GB protect circuitry really does work well and fast.. !!
    Ive told Andy that if i cant break it no one can! HA

My amps get used in many situations, small gigs to huge rooms and many miles and crews handling it.. as well as myself / and things are bound to happen every so often.. .. and so far ive never had a failure. Knock on wood..
    Im glad the Genz protection works as good as it does.. My amp is still going strong.. Had 5 shows on it since.. Not one issue

16. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    When unplugging a 1/4" plug from the speaker end, the tip and sleeve can short together inside the sleeve of the jack. Common cause of failure for some (mostly older) amps.

17. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    Hello aged horse, nice to see you on the forums :)

18. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    You too man!

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I figured those were the issues. For the uneducated I could see where that might be a problem... I consider them operator errors and as such avoidable. I use 12 gauge 1/4" cables with nice ends, only make/change speaker connections with the power off and don't have my rig where someone including myself could get behind it and accidentally disconnect my three foot cable. My 1/4" cable is a lot heavier duty than my speakon to 1/4" cable. I haven't had any issues using my bridged Crown Drivecore XLS1500 with heavy duty banana to 1/4" cable with or without a speakon adapter. How much wattage can a short quality 12 gauge cable carry?

For a bass rig, I don't see a real problem... because an avoidable accident often isn't one. It's a mistake. So I carry and use banana, 1/4" and speakon equipped cables so I'm ready no matter what.

:)