Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genz-Benz 112 vs Epi 112 vs Acme B2???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junglebike, Jul 28, 2003.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    So I'm lovin' my rig (see pic). Stewart is about to be replaced with a Peavey DPC1000. I'm getting a little tired of schlepping the 2x12 to rehersals and small gigs, so I'm planning on supplementing the rig with a smaller cab. So far I've got a line on:

Genz Benz 112T -- $175 shipped (!)
    Acme Low B2 -- $300 shipped
    Epifani 112 -- $380 shipped.

I'm sure any of these would do the trick. Portability and value are key here, as well as compatibility with my existing stack. The Acme's got a chance 'cause I can use it as a small PA system for my rehersal space. The GB is cheap! The Epifani's an Epifani! I'm stuck!!!

What's the best deal? What would you do?

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    It really depends on what you're looking for but for me, I'd go with that Benz 112 for $175.00. In fact, if you don't decide to get it let me know where the deal is. ;)

3. Depends on what sort of stuff you're playing and how much volume you need, of course, but my first impulse would be to go for the Epi. It's the closest in tone to your 2x12 (which you presumably like), easily loud enough for small gigs without pushing either the amp or the cabinet, and still quite small and portable. The Acme sounds great, but is bigger and not nearly as loud or as "present". The GenzBenz is a unknown quantity to me, though maybe other folks are familiar with them--it certainly seems like a bargain.

Mike

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    gotta go with Mike. he knows wassup. the Epi would rock hard, but $175 for the Genz Benz aint bad at all!

i was recently at Lola in the Flatiron district, and when our party headed to the front of the bar for some dancin', the first thing i heard from the band was that smoooth Conklin 6 stringer the bassist was using thru his Genz Benz 1x12. i'm not too keen on the looks, but man, that little box was pretty nice! i just dont like the idea that it only handles 200 watts.

the Acme would be a great choice for that 10" punch, but IMHO, i'd only think hard about it, if a Low B figured highly in your sound, and to the looks of your current rig, i'm thinkin', "no". also, its the heavier of the lot, and since we're thinking powerful, and small, lets push that to the back of the line.

5. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, after thinking about it, I ditched the Acme. Thanks for the help!

Haven't heard from the GB guy yet, so that may not be an option after all. Is $380 shipped a good deal for an epi 112, or should I hold out? I'm positive the sound would be amazing. And the thought of an epifani 3x12 stack... shudder :D

Perfect for that Rosebowl gig I have coming up, uh... just around the corner...:rolleyes:

I do think there's something to be said for the big backline, though. My new band is heavily reggae influenced, so there's gotta be some ass in the mix!

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, that's a killer deal on an Epi!

7. I paid $400 plus shipping for mine, so $380 straight up sounds pretty good.

Mike

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've owned all three cabs you're considering so I was able to compare them.

GB...cost and weight are the only plus here. It is an OK cab but it sounds NOWHERE near as good as the others. Buy only if you want to go super cheap.

Epifani...well you know what you're getting since you own the 2-12 already.

Acme has more "air" in the upper mids and more extended low bass but it's not that much smaller or lighter than your 2-12 and it won't match up as well if you try to run both cabs at a big gig.

I'd stick with the known quantity: Epifani.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If that Epi T-112 is from the guy whose selling 4 of them, then I already made my vote, and bought one of them myself! $380 shipped for a T-112 in supposedly very good shape was too good of a deal to pass up for me, and I'd recommend you do the same. FWIW, I plan on using mine with my current T-112/T-110UL setup on an as needed basis. My Walkabout seems to drive a 2 ohm load just fine (checked this out a couple of times, with a close eye to the temp of the amp), so I am thinking that it shouldn't have a problem driving 2.7 ohm.

Go for the Epi! It is a great sounding stand alone cab, and it will go quite well with your T-212.

Tom.

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    joker,

The two that I have are the older GB-12T models which are rated at 175 watts rms and are 8 ohm cabs. I run 350 watts into each of them with no problems.

11. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    Go for the Epi

I have one of the older vertical
    T212s and a T112 for smaller gigs

It is true, a 3 x 12" Epi
    stack is something to behold.
    Just make sure you have at least
    a QSC 2402 to give it some headroom

Plus, I used to own an Acme Low B2
    and although it sounded great at
    moderate volume, I got tired replacing
    10" drivers for $50, and the Epi is
    damn near the same in tone and gets
    much louder

Phil Anderson
    tucson, AZ

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I am not sure about how much power the T-212 craves, but one thing that I like about my T-112 is that it sounds killer with high wattage (from my PLX 3002) and fairly low wattage (from my Walkabout). I normally use the T-112 and T-110UL together with the Walkabout, but that's still only 150w into each cab. Sounds great, though!

Tom.

13. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Okay, okay... looks like the Epi is the way to go... you guys are bankrupting me! :D

Yeah... once I've recovered from this latest orgy of consumption I'll think about a PLX. For now, I'll have to be satisfied with my meager 1000W of power. :rolleyes: I have heard that the 2x12 really opens up with 1k+. All I can stuff into it now is 600W, but it still sounds damned good.

Thanks again for all your help!

pete

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    So give up the info on the Benz 112! I'll be the cheap bastid since no one else is interested in it. :D ;)

15. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Well, the add was up on bassgear.com He's been trying to sell it for months. I e-mailed him about it yesterday and haven't heard anything back.

Don't want to post it here, but just search bassgear for "genz" or something and it'll pop right up! Good luck!

16. I'm a little curious......Are the prices you list [GB $175, Acme $300 and Epi $380] for BRAND NEW equipment or are they USED. If there new ....Where ???
    CI Joe

17. Those are used prices.

Mike

18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Yeah, I know about that one. It's supposed to be one of the newer model Live Series cabs. At least, that's what he's advertising it as. I've contacted him a couple of times about it but he was seeking more than the price that you listed. Maybe he's had a change of heart? Thanks!

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Let me tell you about the one that I just picked up for $380 shipped from the guy from BassGear.com.

This baby is clean, clean, clean! In fact, it came packaged as if it were shipped straight from Epifani directly. Epifani label on the box, shrink-wrapped, and the tape seems looked brand new. If I had been told that this came straight from Nick's shop, I would believe it. Very nice.

One thing I did notice is that while it does have the dual speakons on the back panel (the earlier models - like the one reviewed in BP - had just one, as I recall), it is also about 1" shallower than my newer T-112. So, this may be a second generation (out of 3) model. At any rate, sonically, compared to my newer one, it is punchier (with the newer one being smoother), but otherwise sounds very similar. The two sound great together, and even better with my T-110UL on top. :D

So, while it is important to note that at least the cab I got was not the newest model, it was in phenomenal shape. I am wondering if he had Epfani clean it up and package it for him. The shipping address was from New York.

Hope this helps, Tom.

20. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks, Tom!

I just bought his 112, so it's good to hear that you're happy with yours! I'm pretty excited about my rig!

pete