Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

genz benz 12 sleeping giant?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i hear all of the arguments about the epifani,bergies and aggies, but from what i read the genz could very well be the sleeping giant of the bunch. am i smokin a big ol bowl or am i accurate. thinkin about pickin one up once i get either a sadowsky pre or the aguilar one. just sparkin some discusion.

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey SRG,

I've got a Benz 12 and you might just be right. I love mine. Now I've never heard the Epifani, Berg or Aguilar cabs but I have tried mine in a side by side with Eden cabs. I've only got a 410 & 112 standard series and I tried the 410 against a 410 XLT Eden. The Eden was better but not by enough to justify the difference in cost to me. Genz Benz makes a 410T-XB2 series cab that is even better than the standard series I've been told. It's hard trying to find any Benz product in my area to try but I do wonder how the XLT would fare against the XB2.

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    would you describe the sound as high fi or organic?

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The sound might be a little of both to me. It definitely has some Eden like qualities but it does have that "old school" kind of feel to it also. I think that it's a cab that can do a large variety of music very well. I don't have any gig experience with it yet but I do take the 112 or my 410 to jam sessions. It sits in very well under those circumstances. I'm still kind of inexperienced as a player so I probably don't have the exposure to as large a variety of gear as you may have had. I do feel that Genz Benz is a serious product. One that should be considered by a lot more players. here's my current gear:

Basses:

Fender American Deluxe Jazz
    MIJ Fender Standard Jazz Fretless

Peavey Millennium Plus
    Peavey Cirrus 5

MTD Beast 5 with a Grendel preamp

Amplification:

Fender Bassman 25 combo amp
    Peavey Kilobass Head
    Peavey Max Bass Preamp (needs a power amp)
    Genz Benz 410T-STD
    Genz Benz GB12T

Effects:

Peavey BassFex with ProFex II MIDI controller
    Korg Pandora PX3B

Other:

Furman PL-Plus
    Korg DTR-1 rackmounted tuner

Check those Benz cabs out for sure. they are definitely the "sleeping giant' for me! ;)

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I own one Genz Benz 12 and two Epifani 12s.

The GB is much lighter weight but is less defined sounding, not as deep and highs are not as smooth. Still a nice cabinet, it's only by comparison to the Epifani that it seems to have any flaws.

Consider price though: I bought my GB used, but even new you can buy them for less than half what I paid for one Epifani. A good bargain if not quite in the same class as the Epifani :cool:

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey Brian,

Can you describe the tone of the GB 112? I tried to but I just don't have a lot of experience with gear other than the stuff that I own. I'm lacking in gig experience also. The stores in my area don't give you a lot of opportunities to try a lot of different things either unless it's something like Ampeg, SWR, etc. When I did the side by side with the Eden 410 and my GB 410, the Eden was the better of the two. When I looked at the cost of each, it was Genz Benz hands down! ;)

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My experience with my Aguilar GS112 has me curious as to how two GB 12T's would sound. I had one 12T and it was okay, basically the same way I felt about one GS112.

Hmmm...

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I dunno, good? :cool:

It's hard to say because tone is subjective. More mids than your typical SWR/Eden/Peavey style 2-10 or 4-10, highs can be fizzy (piezo tweeter, ya know). Slightly blurry low bass (probably due to less rigid cab construction). Overall, relatively smooth and not "in your face" like many popular cabinets with 10" speakers are.

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    LOL!! You're crazy man! :D I just feel so limited sometimes because of my lack of experience with using these cabs in different situations. I just know that I like what I hear from mine. I felt that you could probably offer a more detailed description than I could. Guess what? You did. ;) Thanks.