Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genz Benz 1200 or Groove Bass 1200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SnoMan, May 22, 2005.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    G.B. 1200 or G.B. 1200

choices choices!

ok anyways. I know this topic was slightly touched on once in a thread but I wanted to see if anyone who missed out on that side-note had anymore information that they could spare.

I've had chance to hear Freekbass play the kustom 1200(ok, last time was with the 3x10 combo) head twice, so with not having the opportunity to play the amp, I have heard it and feel that it is pretty solid.

The Genz benz 1200 looks tohave a lot more to offer though. I really like the idea of footswitchable gain. Can this amp provide a solid overdrive sound? This amp just looks tasty.

So does anyone have experience with both? I know, it's not likely, but I gots ta try :D

What I play - style: versital, I mainly play in a hard rock band, but am about to do a big funk jam...my biggest musical problem is wanting to play too many vastly different styles.
    Gear: Schecter diamond deluxe 4, currently running hartke 3500 through a hartke XL 2x10. In roughly a month or less I will be ordering a 1210 from Schroeder.

Thanks for any help.

2. You do know that the Kustom amp is less than half the price of the Genz Benz right?

3. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Oh, I'm very aware of that.

I see it this way though.... I had to work 16 hours today between two jobs. I picked up a second job souly to acquire new and better gear, so I'm very much set on buying gear that would best suit my needs. Of course I don't want to burn money either.....this extra time working could be spent on practicing or playing out somewhere, so I"m looking for the best at the best price.....or just the best...if there were such a thing

4. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    It's unclear to me which amp you're referring to for most of the post... but I'll put in a vote for the Groovebass1200. Unless there are specific features that you know you'll need from the Genz Benz amp, the Kustom is just an unbelievable bang-for-the-buck. I own one and honestly can't fault a single feature on the unit, except for some noise issues I've been getting at home that are more likely related to the wiring in my house. The tone is superb, lots of oomph, and the EQ section allows for a great variety of tweaking

Still, these are both amps that are easy to find, and you should be playing them at stores until you can make a personal decision. It's hard to get a specific sound YOU like when going by other people's recommendations, so spend some quality time with each! Have you played both yet? Do you prefer the sound of one over the other?

5. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I wish I could demo the units, but I live in WV and getting a unit into one of our stores that I couldn't guarantee them that I'd buy would be like pulling teeth, I wasn't even able to get a quote on the kustom last week when I went and bought my schecter a week ago. And the store says they carry kustom....

sorry, updated the first post to show that I was referring to Kustom...whoops

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What exactly do you want? Just overdrive? Warmth? Reliability? Weight? Be more specific as to the sound you want.

7. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I don't have the means to know exactly what I want. If I did, this would be much simpler. I like a nice warm overdrive, I also like "HiFi."

I can't be more specific to the sound I want because I don't want a specific sound. I want somethign I can take into a coffee shop and play smooth jazz, take to a local small club and do a funk improv and then take to an outdoor gig with my hard rock band.

Weight within reason isn't an issue, the 11lbs difference doesn't mean much to me. Reliability is important, because I intend to gig my equiptment several times every month.

There is a fair amount of information on the Kustom head. I have found far less on the Genz Benz head. Genz benz seems to have had a pretty good reputation on it's equiptment through my searches and various readings over time.

Has anyone actually used the Genz Benz GBE 1200 yet on here?

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Sounds like what you want is the Fender Bassman 300 Pro/Sunn 300T. It can do just about anything paired with the right cab and tubes. I dunno if its in the price (or weight) range though...

9. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Cool, I'll start looking into those right now.....blasphemous desire to get more and better gear....always makes things difficult

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you get one, look for the Sunn 300T used, as there is no point in getting one new. They will keep on working as long as the tubes do. It has 300 all tube watts, and its very versitle. I'm actually looking into getting one as soon as my funds permit. However, it is heavy like all other tube amps.

11. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Blast, one thing I forgot to mention was that I prefer rack-mountable...but that isn't as important as finding an amp that suits my desires

12. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

For me, I was looking at the best head that would suit my budget at the time which was $600. I shopped and shopped and shopped (including playing MANY heads) and the Kustom came out as the CLEAR winner.

That being said, if my budget would have been quite a bit higher, say over $1000, I may not have gotten the Kustom, if for nothing else at the time, it was not an established product and no TBers had owned one (I was the first).

So am I sorry I went with the Kustom......HELL NO! I'm actually glad that I didn't spend more for the same or less. I am 100% happy with my decision. For $500 it TRULY can't be beat. For $1000 - $1500, I'm sure that it can...

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    The word is generally good on both those heads. I would suggest that if you're shopping in that range, you might check out the Carvin B1500 too. Versatile, powerful, well made, and rack-mountable.

14. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Not exactly my definition of a very versatile amp.

Tube amps are more one- or two-trick ponies in my book and the Bassman and Sunn in particular have pretty cool old school tone but they aren't the more versatile tube'ers out there. Just my opinion and YMMV. ;)

15. +1 :hyper:

16. Derakh Djinn

Derakh Djinn

May 23, 2005
    Michigan
    sorry to thread jack, but would you consider the Kustom Groove to be the best all around gigging head under 600$?

Also, a lot of TB'ers have been saying its 500$ but everywhere I look its 600$, could someone help a fellow bassist out with a link to the cheaper price? Thanks!

17. Quadzilla

To answer your first question, yes. Only minor complaint is that it could be a hair lighter (it's 31 lbs), but it still beats the hell outta hauling a 80 lbs tube head!

As for question 2, I've seen them many times on Ebay for $500 "Buy it Now". I actually got mine from my local Kustom dealer for $485. Go to www.Kustom.com and click on dealers to see who your local dealers are. Good luck!

18. Derakh Djinn

Derakh Djinn

May 23, 2005
    Michigan
    hey, thanks for the quick resonse! 2 of the local dealers near me told me they could special order it for me for 675$ and one has it in stock for 599$ I guess the local shops around me like to inflate the prices a bit more huh? I usually shop GC, which is where I just got my Schecter Stiletto Studio, but they didn't have any Kustom last time I went in.

I'll check ebay, thanks for the information, TalkBass is awesome, I just signed up a few days ago and already have learned more about bass than I ever knew! Thanks!

19. Quadzilla

Heard one of these (Sunn 1200) about a month ago. Guy from the local Maryland band "Crushing Day" uses one. I must say I was impressed with his tone. Also a good choice!

20. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The classic combo of an RBI and a QSC sounds like it would work great for what you're wanting, but that's just my preference speaking at this point.