1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz 210 combo - adding a GB410T cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geoff_in_nc, Dec 11, 2011.

1. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc

Dec 13, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I've got a Genz Benz ML200-210T combo now that I like quite a bit, and have found a Genz Benz GB410T cabinet on CL that I'm thinking of picking up.

Can anyone tell me if these two will match up decently tonally?

I'm told that the 410 is 8 ohms, and rear ported.

2. What is the minimum impedance of the combo and what are the impedances of the internal drivers? You need to know this before you buy anything.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    *If* the combo is 4 ohms minimum, and *if* the internal 210's are 8 ohms, you'd want another 8 ohm 2x10 as an ext cab, though the 410 *could* work. The problem with mixing a 210 and 410 is the same as the dreaded 410 with a 15 scenario- the 410 is much more capable, leaving the 210 as the limiting factor of the rig. Both cabs get equal power, but the smaller one reaches it's maximim limits well before the bigger cab does. Hence, matched cabs for the win./

4. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc

Dec 13, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    The combo has 2x 4 ohm min power amps with separate outputs bridgeable into an 8 ohm min output. If you think of the combo's speakers as a 210 cabinet, they are an 8 ohm entity, and standard it runs its speakers into the bridged mode. So I'd unbridge the outputs and plug the combo's speakers into one side and the cabinet into the other.

I'm probably not explaining the concept well, but here's what the manual says
    EDITED TO ADD: I realize this will give me actually less than 200 watts output into 210 + 410, but my thought is I'm looking for a little more body, not so much tons more volume at the moment. That could change, and I'd then probably add a more powerful head somewhere down the line.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    You understand the concept corrrectly, and this is exactly what this feature was designed for. A very common combination for this combo was a single 15" cabinet that got left at the gig (say a church or regular club/theatre venue) and the 210 combo traveled with the player for practice etc. At the gig, the amp was operated in dual mode primarily for the desired tonal goals that the different cabinets bring to the table as well as the increased low end extension that coupling will generate. We sold an awful lot of these combos and I get user comments/questions all the time about unique applications.

6. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc

Dec 13, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Thank you agedhorse.... it's always appreciated to get the info .... erm.... direct from the horse's mouth? :bag: :D
    (I bet you've never gotten that one before... )

Does anyone know, would the combo plus this 410 have compatible tonal profiles? I can't seem to find any info on this cab at all.... just the UB or XB series cabs.