genz benz 410t-xb2 v. swr goliath III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rolliefingers, Jun 22, 2005.

1. hey people - I've got a gk 1001rb-II and i'm currently using a hartke 410tp, but i'm looking to replace the cab with another, hopefully better 4x10. i'm thinking i'll stick with 8 ohm cabs in the event that i need to add another cab in the future (for a loud rock band, ect). i've tried out a number of 4x10's at some music stores and while i like my hartke (yes, i know many of you feel that hartke=crap) i feel i need a little more power handling capabilty - at least a 400w cab maybe?? what are some thoughts on the gb v. goliath 3? i really liked the gb; great sound and size - only 16 inches deep, but the swr sounded good too... anyone using either of these w/ a gk 1001rb-II?
  2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I'm using a Goliath III with a GK 700RB-II, and it sounds fantastic. Played this rig at an outdoor hard rock show a couple of weeks ago, and I was very happy with the results. It had huge low end, and lots of clarity, which is a hallmark of the Goliath III. I had more than enough volume, even without PA support, which highlights one of my favorite aspects of the Goliath III -- efficiency. With the stronger output of a 1001RB-II, you may never need a second cab.

Some comment on the "SWR sound," which I gather is a mid-scooped tone very different from the classic Ampeg tone. That may be the Goliath's "natural" tone, but I find it takes EQ well, and that more vintage tones can be dialed in. It may not get as "wooly" as a classic Ampeg rig, but the boost control on the new GK heads helps generate some nice growl. (A good J helps too. ;) )

I can't compare it to the Genz-Benz, which I've never tried, but I think GK heads are a good match for the Goliath III.
  3. are you absolutely set on a 4x10?

because the GK 212 Neo looks pretty neat. it can handle 600 watts, and because it's a GK, you can utilize the bi-amp feature of your head. i have yet to play one myself, but i definetly want to.

plus, it comes with casters and is a little lighter than a 4x10.
    (it should be cheaper than the previously mentioned cabs too, although i haven't been able to locate one)
  4. thanks (nedmundo) for the feedback on the goliath 3 - i too think it's a good match - now i just need to find a used one so i can save a few shekels... as far as getlow's comment - i'm not totally set on a 4x10, but strongly leaning that way - haven't had a chance to play any 2x12's or neos yet, but i'm hoping to soon. in any event, i appreciate your comments.
  5. has a used one... great shape too. i was in there today and saw it.
  6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Actually, I think 212's are great. I've played through an old SWR Bigfoot a couple of times, once using a GK head, and I loved it. It proves the cliche that 12's mix the clarity of 10's with the punch of 15's. The 212 configuration is great for rock.

I've since purchased a GK Neo 112, which is an excellent small cabinet, and with the 700RB-II can cut it for smaller gigs. It sounded somewhat "brittle" to me at first, but as it broke in, it warmed up and I love the tone. (Probably not as deep and warm as an Aguilar GS112, but close.) And the bi-amp feature is worthwhile. I think the GK cabs sound slightly better in bi-amp mode, and it's cool to be able to adjust the tweeter on the fly.

I therefore think a Neo212, or two Neo112's, would be a viable alternative to a 4x10". In fact, I've considered selling my Goliath III to just get another Neo112 (I live in a townhouse with limited storage), but the Goliath is so excellent that I think I'd sorely regret selling it. After its performance at that outdoor show, I've decided to keep it for the foreseeable future.
  7. this is weird. i'm looking at all of these cabs and am stuck too. but i'm broke, so it really doesn't matter. but as soon as i get some cash, i'm heading out to test cabs.