Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

genz benz 4X10 wiring question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Danksalot, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    I have a Genz Benz 4X10 cabinet that the speakers were stolen out of. :spit: It used to have (4) 10" speakers and an adjustable horn. I have the speakers now to replace the stolen tens, but not the horn. Can I hook up the tens only without damaging my amp/speakers? Also, does anyone know which wires go where? I have red, black, green and white wires. Thanks a bunch?

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Have a look at the diagram attched. It's a standard wiring diagram for a 4x10 cab with no horn.

Good luck.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You ought to give Jeff Genzler a call at Genz Benz and ask him which wires go where...

With respect to Pete's drawing...which is correct, I read a question written in to Bass Player about this very subject.

The question dealt with whether it's best to connect two series connect loudspeakers in parallel or two groups of parallel connected speakers in series.

If you connect two series banks of speakers in parallel and one speaker blows (voice coil burns open), you'll only have two speakers working. If you connect two parallel banks of speakers in series and one voice coil opens, you'll still have three speakers working.

I wonder how many cabinet builders consider this when wiring up their cabinets.

4. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    just out of curiosity, how did your speakers get stolen?

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Good point.I built a 2x10 cab that I wanted to have a total load of 8 ohms. I could have done what most cab manufacturers do and wire 2 speakers of 4 ohms each in series.

Instead I got 2 speakers of 16 ohms each and wired them in parallel. Why? So if one blows, the other one will keep working. Everyone thought I was being silly about it but it looks like I'm not the only one who thinks this way :)

6. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    I had my gear locked up in my own practice room at college. The only people with keys were me and security. One day I walked in and the grill was off and they had unscrewed two of the speakers and the horn and taken them. Security was not very helpful in the investigation. (Duh!) So that's the story.

There's a great guy I work with, though. When he heard my story, he said he had a couple extra that he would give me! I don't believe in karma, but it is pretty cool to get the replacements free!

Thanks for the help on wiring!

7. Can anyone tell me how they like using those floor monitor tilt back Genz Benz amps? Are those just stage monitors ,or can they be your only amp/speaker ?