Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genz-Benz 600 question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ErnieD, Feb 18, 2005.

1. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    How do I remove the 4 rubber feet from the bottom of my GBE 600 amp? There are no screws that I can see and I could not bring up the GB website to ask. I want to put this amp into a 2 space rack unit. Hope I don't have to open it up just to remove these four feet, I was thinking just to cut them off clean with a utility knife rather than open it up. Anyone?

2. pdxmar

pdxmar

Feb 13, 2005
    i just looked at the bottom of my GBE600..........not real sure how to remove the feet. You might have to open up the case to get to the nuts perhaps.
    I picked up my my GBE two days ago and can't seem to turn it off. I am running a Marcus Miller bass and a goliath cabinet and the sounds coming out are awsome. The lows are thunderous and the highs are crisp but not shrill. I have not even touched the EQ yet and am just using the eq shaping with the footswitch but I can not imagine a better bass amp.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    good chance that the head will fit in a 2 space rack just fine with the feet on. i know the eden amps do. if you must remove them i'd wait till you can talk with someone at gb, but i bet they're just stuck on.

4. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    thanks for the replies fellers. I have it in a 6 space flight case but I am ordering 2, 2-space skb hard cases to lighten my load, ugh. I plan to put the GB in one case and my furman & BBE maximizer in the other. That way I can use my effects cab with either my GB or Gk 1001. Quick tale pdx-m, I bought a new Ashdown evo 500, at less than 1 yr old it crapped out, awesome amp while it lasted. Took it back to store and the guy offers me this new GB600 to use in the interim, very cool of him. Well I have not seen my ashdown since OCT 2004, last I heard it was headed to New Jersey for repairs after local shop could not fix it, geez. Anyway I have fallen in love with this GB600. I use it with my Goli III 4x10 and sometimes add my SOB 1x15, very very nice. I usually use a Sray 5 but I just bought a new 55-01. Man this bass, esp the B string, is fantastic. Clearer, cleaner just better than my Sray, it has taken spot #1 for now. I am wanting to keep the GB600 so whenever they call me about my ashdown I am tempted to tell em "Keep it". I may be a little upside down price wise and I will never get to 600 watts with my 8 ohm cabs but I have gotten so used to it don't think I'll miss the 575 watts the ashdown gave me @ 4ohms. One thing he did not give me the foot switch, guess I can order it from GB Co. When my skb case arrives I'll figure out what to do then. I-Mike always appreciate your wisdom, Oh and Congrats on the mod appointment all TBers will benefit, I know I have, even when you were just a civilian. ;)

5. pdxmar

pdxmar

Feb 13, 2005
    Hey ErnieD. One of the nice things about the GBE 600 is that you can run a stable 2 ohm load. I have the goliath III also ( 8 ohm) and am thinking for bigger gigs I might add another cabinet, perhaps a 4 ohm 4-10. Any suggestions??? I have not heard one but am thinking the Genz Benz 410 XB. That would bring my load down to 4 ohmns...........what do you think???? Or would it be best to pick up the cabinet in the 4 ohm load which would lower my impedence down to around 3 ohms I am guessing.....Is this wise?????

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    adding a 4 ohm cab to your 8 ohm will result in a load of 2.67 ohms. that's ok for the head. however, that will result in twice the power going to the 4 ohm cab than is going to the 8 ohm cab. If the cabs are equal in sensitivity (measured in dB), and are voiced in a similar fashion, the 4 ohm cab will be 3 dB louder (noticeably louder) than the 8 ohm one. if the sensitivity of the 4 ohm cab is 3 dB or more less than the 8 ohm cab, then the cabs will be about the same volume, or the 4 ohm cab may actually end up being quieter.

to be fair, you should bring the head and your existing cabinet (and your bass) to the store and try them out with the cabinet(s) you are considering to see how they really sound together. Unless you find a really great 4 ohm match i'd suggest using another 8 ohm cab.

7. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    Sorry it took so long to post..I'm at home (computer) and had to get another logon.

Removal of rubber feet: You very well might not have to. I've put a GBE600 into two space SKB and TKL racks with the feet on. If you do have to remove the feet you should do it from the outside.

In the center of the foot it a small "nipple". Get a very small screw driver and lift it up. It will pop out of the bottom of the chassis and now you can remove the feet. It will reinstall simply by pushing it in.

I hope this helps.

Kindest Regards,
    Roger Hart

8. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Thanks much, Mr Hart. If you get by this thread again, would I be able to buy the 2 or 4 button foot pedal switch directly from Genz-Benz if I wanted to? BTW pdx-m if you decide to place your GB600 into a rack case, it would not fit in to my standard skb case, about 11" inside that now holds my Gk 1001. So I am going to order a skb-like case that offers maybe 15" or 16" from front to rear rail, just fyi. Also, I could have not answered your ohm ? near what IVMike offered, what a guy. ;)

9. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    I'm afraid we don't sell directly to the player. If we did that we couldn't count on the support of music retailers.

You can check for a dealer in your area on our website- www.genzbenz.com

Kindest Regards,
    Roger