1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz 9.0...too much power for light cabs? (help me pick a cab)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LBass, Jun 6, 2011.

1. LBass

LBass

Sep 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I moved recently and am in the process of getting a new rig. Before I had a Markbass LM 800 and 2 markbass cabs. The Watts/ohms were perfect so that I could use either one cab or two depending on my needs without any worries in terms of power.

I recently got a good deal on the Shuttle 9.0 and while I am really excited for the headroom and power, but I am having trouble finding a light (preferably close to 30lbs, definitely under 45lbs) cabinet that can handle 500 watts at 8ohms.

Any thoughts from the TB collective wisdom? Is there is nice neo cab out there that I have not seen? Should I not over think it and get a cab rated at 400 watts and just be careful?

If it matters, I tend to prefer a warm/vintage tone rather than a glassy/modern one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    fEarful?

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The wattage ratings are just rough guidelines, and they don't actually indicate what is "safe". If you send a big-enough spike into a 400 W amp, at a low frequency, you can blow a speaker rated at 800 W.

Regardless of the rated numbers, you always have to be careful. It is perfectly fine to use a 1000 W amp with a 200 W cab, as long as you are careful.

4. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    As mentioned by 4-string, a fEarful/nEarful will do the trick, as will others. And per bongo, I have used my Shuttle 9 with 500w cabs without issue, just keep an eye on the master volume.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    This comes up a lot, so let me offer a little information and advice. This is a general comment that would apply to all amps and all (compact) speakers by all manufacturers.

1. There are 2 specific speaker power ratings that you need to be aware of, they are the thermal rating and the mechanical rating.

2. The thermal ratings (what are normally the published "RMS" or "continuous" rating) are generally not the limiting factor for today's modern drivers when driven from real world normal (bass) music sources because the thermal load is derived from the average power delivered to the speaker and the average takes into account the dynamics in the signal. Typically, the dynamics are at least 6dB and generally more like between 9 and 12dB. This means that the average power is between 1/4 and 1/16th the rated output of the amp.

3. The mechanical power handling is a seperate number that is not REALLY a single number but is a series of numbers that change with frequency. The can change quite a lot with frequency. Generally, as the frequency gets lower, the driver must move farther do develop adequate SPL, and the movement of the driver in the box is affected by the air mass and spring constants of both the box volume and the driver's characteristics. As the frequency gets low enough, the air mas and the driver parameters no longer work "together" to maintain control of motion and the driver starts flopping around. This causes extreme stresses on the driver's suspension components. In general, the smaller the box, the higher the transition frequency that this takes place.

4. Now that you see the relationship between mechanical power handling and frequency, it's obvious that with a compact speaker, you must restrict the amount of very low frequency material being reproduced at high power. Typically, for say a compact 210, the mechanical power handling will be reduced by about 50% (below the thermal rating) by the time the response has declined to around the -10 to -12dB response point of the box. So, as long as you are aware of this and don't ask the speaker to reproduce very low freqencies at high volume, you will be ok.

5. In a nutshell, as volume increases, dial back any low frequency boost or eq so that you do not push the speaker into an area where it will be subject to excessive stresses. There are some users for whom compact speakers are notthe right choice as well.

Hope this helps.

6. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    The Schroeder 15+L in 8 ohms would be a great match for the 9.0. Around 30 lbs, it moves a lot of air, but doesn't sound woofy at all.

7. LBass

LBass

Sep 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for all the suggestions and info!!

8. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks !! I just got my S900 and I was afraid of use it with my Epifoni 112...

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've got a Bergantino AE210 (400 watts, 8ohms, 40 lbs.) that I've played my Shuttle 9.0 through. The 9.0 puts out 500 watts at 8 ohms, so it's a great match for this cab. The AE210 has surprising low end and has the distinct sound of 10s like its big sibling the AE410. You might want to try it out.

10. Brubass

Brubass

Jul 17, 2009
    Ridgefield, CT
    I was facing the same dilemma when I purchased my MB2-500. I went with the Eminence Delta LF equipped Avatar SB112 - rated at 500w & weighs 46 lbs.

11. insain

insain

Apr 21, 2008
    Nashville
    I just played two more club shows this weekend with the 9.0 amp and GB 2x10 Neo cab. The band is 6 piece, Southern Rock, twin lead guitars, gets loud...
    I've played with some type of monster tube head (400+, SVT) and 8x10 or two 4x10 cabs for years and expect the tone and volume these rigs deliver.
    I learned how to set up the pre-amp section to get this amp to pump and I am so surprised at how good this little rig sounds. The only thing I would do differently is get two 8ohm cabs instead of the one 4ohm so I can use a larger , taller rig for theater stages.

12. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    FWIW:

I have a S9, and I play through 1 Berg HT112. It sounds awesome and is loud enough to hang w my heavy handed son (drummer). For a little extra punch, I plug in two HT112's.

13. LBass

LBass

Sep 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Thanks again for everyone's input. I will be able to make a much more informed decision!

14. Just get one of the Genz-Benz neo cabs and you're all set.

15. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I pretty regularly use my S9 with a Schroeder 15+L, 4 ohm -400W cab. No issues, except that it works pretty well.

There are other micro-cabs out there that are worth looking at; but when you get into small cabs, you will have trade-offs and don't get everything.