Genz-Benz 90watt - Yorkvillve XM100 - Yorkville Bass Master 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Sep 9, 2003.

1. There's a reason it's a "Benz", fella, take it!

1 vote(s)
  2. Take the watts!

3 vote(s)
  3. Got money to spare or something? Clearly, the cheapie wins.

1 vote(s)
  1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    There are three combos at the local store I'm interested in. The XM100 is $499 (sale), the Bass Master is between 700 and 800 (most likely), and the Genz-Benz is $739. Their current XM100 is on the fritz right now, but I do recall it having good sound. The Bass Master is a few years old by the looks of it, and the sound isn't nearly as good as the Genz or even the XM100, but it's 400watts and $700-something dollars. The Genz easily rips the other two to shreds soundwise,'s only 90 watts. The XM100 and the Genz both have steel grills, and both look and feel pretty damn solid. Should I compromise sound and take the volume with the Bass Master, go for the killer sound and the low-low 90 watts, or go for the XM100 for cost?
  2. What are you using the amp for?

For low-volume practice and small rehearsals, go with the one you think delivers the best tone for the $$.

If you are planning to gig in anything but the smallest places, the 400 Watt unit might be the choice I think it is unusual that you can't find the tone you like with it - maybe it has been treated poorly. Unless it is very old, it is the same basic internals as the XM series.

There are probably some better deals out there. Where is the local store - Napanee? Have you looked in Kingston or Belleville. For the best choice, you might be better off trying to get to Oshawa or Toronto some weekend and check out Long & McQuade. They have a huge selection of used and rental gear, plus will rent almost anything off the floor, and they often have lease to own specials with no interest for a year. And a great selection, too. Might be worth the drive (or train/bus ticket!). Prices might be better at Steve's in Toronto, but the service and flexibility at L&M is worth it IMHO.

I got my Eden D210XLT there for 495 CAD, and also our PA (Yorkville AP 818 plus Elite monitors and Speakers) used for 2/3 the price of a new one, no interest on the payments over one year.
  3. I think Big O is right.Check out some more stores.I just bought a new xm200 with a 15" speaker. 599.00.Has all the bells I need(lineout/direct,tuner out and most importantly and ext.out.) Rent some stuff from L&M.It's cheap and gives you a better idea of what your going to need.Pity that 400 didn't work for you.Maybe try it out again.:bassist:
  4. Can you find any used Yorkville amps? They're really cheap on the used market and most of the amps I've seen were in excellent condition. For example, we have a 400B combo + 4x10 stack (all Yorkville) currently selling for $650 obo in the Vancouver Buysell.