1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz Benz amp comparison

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Perroid, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new low weight yet high powered amp.
    As you may have noticed looking at the title I'm very interested in the Genz Benz products. I've been doing some research regarding the Streamliner 900, Shuttle 9.2 and ShuttleMax 9.2 heads. I play all kinds of music but at the moment I'm involved in a jazz/soul band and I play in a band that's a bit more hardrock/metalcore. I know these amps will supply enough power and can get quite gritty with an overdrive pedal. I play through a 2x12" cab. My former amp was an Ampeg SVT-2 Pro but I couldn't justify the weight any longer since I don't have adequate transport means.

My questions for you guys are:
    - How is the quality of the DI?
    - Do you find the extra EQ options on the ShuttleMax 9.2 useful?
    - Would you recommend it as an allround amp?
    - What are the differences between the amps?
    - What is your general experience with the amp?

Any opinions regarding any of these amps are welcome as well. I like to be very well informed before I buy. Trying them out is really hard where I live..

Thanks!

2. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I don't own the amps you suggested, I do have a shuttle 6.2 I use with my small set up. I think the shuttlemax 9.2 would be your best bet, IMHO I think it would give you more versatility!

3. The Max 9.2 is a fantastic top spec flexible amp. Highly recommended.

4. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I own and regularly use a Shuttle 9.0 and Streamliner 900. The Shuttles are probably the most versatile, and are very easy to use. The Shuttle 9.2 (the latest version of mine) would probably be the way to go given what your criteria are.

5. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    The GB DI has the best on board DI in any amp that i have ever played...
    If you are used to your old SVT 2 a Streamliner might fit your fancy more. BUT if you are ready for a change up and have something that can pretty much do it all . The Shuttle Max 9.2 is a great amp..
    I do everything except hardcore jazz.. and i think the SM9.2 could do it all for you...
    The extra EQ on the MAX 9.2 is handy at times.. The two channel pre FET and TUBE offer a really wide palette to choose from even though they do sound similar.. But they react differently..
    You can get Uber Clean and punchy with the FET.. or almost as clean from the tube channel or wind it up and get some hair on the notes with the TUBE channel running hot...
    you can make a pointy tone or scoop it if you want on the Shuttlemax 9.2
    Dependable as all heck.. . And its light too... Ive done country gigs, rock gigs, pop. cover gigs and some stuff with george lynch form dokken using my svt cab and SM 9.2 head. Its just about does it all..

6. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I owned a 9.0 .. which is not too far removed from a 9.2 and I own a 900 .. both are excellent amps. I actually want to get a 9.2 Max as a second amp but I have had no issues with any of the GB stuff I have owned.. Well I take that back I did have an isue with the 900 and agedhorse took care of it for me post haste as my head was still under warranty. Great stuff that GB.

7. stingraysvt

stingraysvt

Jun 20, 2011
    I was looking for a lightweight amp that could do the SVT thing which led me to the STM 900, I just had to break down and order one I went to 4-5 different large music stores and no one carried them.

I haven't looked back, it has more grit than you dial in on a SVT , in fact I started using a SIB Fatdrive in front of my SVT to lay it over just a little more.

I'm really interested in the Shuttle 9.2 vs the STM 900 though....

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Agreed with all of the above - I currently have the Streamliner 900 and a ShuttleMax 12.0, FWIW... Also, IME Genz-Benz has some of the best built-in DIs in the biz - and the Streamliner has a killer tube sounding DI...

In short, the Streamliner if you're looking to replace your SVTII Pro - and the ShuttleMax 9.2 if you're looking for more versatility... I would also spend the extra $$$ for the Max, if you're going Shuttle - well worth it, IMO...

- georgestrings

9. Thanks for the advice so far! It's really helpfull. I think I'll go with the SM 9.2 and if I miss my STV 2 too much I could always sell it and buy a second hand Streamliner.

Too bad they're very hard to find in Europe..

I also might add a nice overdrive pedal to my set-up to get extra gnarly if I need to. Something like a Sansamp RBI, VT bass, Darkglass or Catalinbread SFT.

10. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

Sep 18, 2012
    This.

And this.

I went from SVT to Streamliner. Love my ol' trusty Ampeg, but it has been relegated to "backup" status, living full time on the PA truck among the stacks and racks.

The DI is awesome. I send it to FOH post-EQ and consistently get compliments from sound guys about it.

I haven't played the Shuttle, so I can't offer a comparison. My preference lies with fewer controls, and the Streamliner is very simple to dial in, so I chose it over the Shuttle.

11. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

My SVTs still get pole position, they still out "bloom" anything else I've tried. But my STL 900 is damn close, and gets plenty of gig time for sure.

12. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have the Shuttle 9.0 and just purchased the SL 900. Cannot speak for the SM. Shuttle is a great head and extremely versatile but I play more " In the pocket" with my Christian 3 piece band and I don't slap or get too busy thus the SL is better suited for me. But the Shuttle 9.0 is still a great amp... Looks like mine will be on the market soon! I hope this helps

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Another approach would be to go with the Streamliner, and buy a preamp type pedal to drive it's power amp section when you wanted something other than it's tubey goodness... Aguilar's Tone Hammer, EBS's MicroBass, and Radial's Bass Bone would all be good candidates for this sort of thing...

AFAIK, the power amp sections are the same in both the ShuttleMax 9.2 and Streamliner 900 - and although the ShuttleMax is definitely more versatile, I don't believe it can do the tube thing as well as the Streamliner can, regardless of the pedals you use... I also prefer the Streamliner's form factor(smaller) and construction - it is definitely a solidly build micro... The Streamliner will fit comfortably in most 17" laptop bags - the ShuttleMax needs something a little bigger

You can't go wrong either way - I'm just putting forth a different angle...

- georgestrings

14. carbonfold

carbonfold

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    I have had the Shuttle 9.0 and Streamliner 900. End up selling both but mainly regretting selling the Shuttle 9.0. Which, that led me to sell my Fender Bassman 300 Pro and order a Shuttle 9.2!

IMO, I did love the Streamliner but it was a bit too “round”, kind of dark, squashy, and not the exact mid placement I wanted. Wasn’t quite the SVT tone even with all the tube rolling I did but then again it doesn’t claim a “SVT” tone. Overall, I just found myself wanting my Shuttle back because it just had a better “overall” platform for me to throw all kinds of dirt and get the clarity I desired out of it. Don’t get me wrong, you can spend some time with the Streamliner and dial up several tones but it has what I call the “Streamliner” tone no matter what.

With the Shuttle, I found that I have a bit more versatility out of it. So far it took me cycling through another SVT-CL / VBA300 / AD200B / Streamliner 900 / Fender Bassman 300 Pro to get back to just desiring the Shuttle again. I’m sure there will be some other bass marketed amplifier out there that will catch my attention and have me GAS’n for the latest, but I have to say that after spending gobs of $$, a hurt back, begging the wife to rub my back, and opening my eyes to realize the Shuttle is what I needed to go back to.

But in the end, tone and sound is ridiculously subjective. One person’s opinion of too dark to too trebly is different than the next. But, if I was to sum up in a song form how I would “generally” say how I felt about the Streamliner’s tone would be like listening to Cake’s version of “I Will Survive”.

15. I am a huge Genz Benz fan. I find my Dingwalls work divinely with my Genz rig. I had a GBE 1200 before I went to the Streamliner 900. The 1200 has the same front end as the 9.2 so I have an idea of the difference between the 900 and the 9.2. I sort of compare the two as the difference between dark chocolate and milk chocolate. Both taste great, but one is a bit darker than the other.

I loved my 1200 except for the weight. It had a tight low end, and great burpy mid and cutting highs.

But when I first played my 900, all my band mates turned around with wide-eyed wonderment. It was like when your dad got mad at you as a kid and his voice got deeper to get your attention. I also love the highs, which are a bit smoother.

I am also going to acquire a 9.2 at some point to have a back-up and that great othe flavor as a change of pace, but I am a Streamliner (dark chocolate) guy to be sure. And I agree with a previous post that the DIs are killer on these amps and I too have delivered post EQ from my Streamer with awesome results.