genz benz amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeyBass, Mar 2, 2006.

1. around town in local pawn shops ive seen alot of genz benz amps especially the genz benz 600 rack mount head...i was wondering are these any good or are they junk

i was also considering buying a new carvin brx 500 block bass head
    which is better when it comes to customer service, sound, excetera

thanks for the time time joey:bassist: :D
  2. The GBE600, is a great sounding head, very versatile n my opinion and well priced too.
  3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    I sure wish that some of them would show up in pawn shops in my city. They'd be sold in second.

4. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    pawn shops!!!???!!!:eek:
  5. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    hasbeen, don't take it personal man!:smug: :D

If the GBE600 is anything like the GBE1200 that I just bought (check out my review here), I would say snatch one of them up. Can you try the 600 out at the local shop? If you can I would strongly suggest it, you won't be disappointed.

6. Buy them.
    Buy them all.
    They're great heads, have a tube and SS preamp section and are stabile down to two ohms.:hyper:
  7. Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    When I bought my Genz Benz head in Massachusetts the guy told me that they are way more popular in the West than in the East. I got a great price on mine. Maybe the head is sitting around the pawn shop becuase there's no demand for it where you live.
  8. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The GBE600 is the best amp I've ever played through.

With my tastes, it's a teir above anything else I've tried, some things are "close" but still get blown away by the Genz-Benz.

And their customer service can not be beat, period.
  9. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I just received my Genz on Friday. Unfortunately, it arrived with a slightly bent rack ear. I have a claim filed now with the shipping company. Of course, I couldn't resist hooking it up to my Fender cab and thumping on my G&L. WOW! This little beast sounds incredible! Very versatile tone shaping. And a clean sound to a major growl with no problems.

I'm 100% sold on Genz Benz -- this is the nicest amp I've played through.

I'm not sure what hassles await me with my claim, but once that is settled, I won't need another amp.
  10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    The day that I get tired of hauling around my 95 lb tube head, it will be replaced with a Genz-Benz GBE1200.

I'm almost looking forward to it, but its not quite time yet.

11. :cool: I've been using a GEB-600 head for around 3 years now. It's got to be one of the best heads I've ever used. I used to be an Ampeg fanatic. Well, Genz is now my preferred amp. I use the Genz NEOX 2x10 and 2x12 with it. They sound fabulous and I've been able to handle some rather large venues with this rig.
  12. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    I have an older Genz Benz GBE250C-112 combo and it sounds great and has held up very well. I have no idea how old it is, but just want to give a comment on reliability.
  13. rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    I have a GBE 600 and I think it's fantastic. I was looking for a tone that combined the ballsy warm oomph of Ampeg with something a little less colored and natural sounding. The GBE600 nailed the tone perfectly, then I discovered that I could draw a zillion other great tones out of it with a few knob tweaks here and there. It's incredibly versatile. Gets my vote for best thing going in bass amplification right now. I was previously an Eden owner and have never thought once about turning back. This head is PERFECT.

ps. I run mine through an Aguilar GS112.
  14. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas

First, it'd be nice if you told us where "around town" is for you. No sign of it on your sig, profile or anywhere else.

Second, as you can tell from the answers here, Genz-Benz heads are second to almost none at their mid-level price point, and have been for a number of years. Try an old GBE-500H if you don't believe that. The company finally is gaining the distribution it needs and deserves (a Dallas dealer FINALLY has started to sell them, I gleefully discovered today), thanks to Kaman Corp.

Finally, I see that you've not responded to any of the comments since starting this thread on Thursday. The second response was from the resident Genz-Benz rep on TalkBass
  15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Hey, I guess lots of people are upgrading to the 1200 these days! I actually went to a show the other night where one of the bassists was using a 1200 Genz Benz, and I was fairly impressed with the tone.
  16. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    All he did was ask simple question. Like you said GB's aren't exactly commonplace for everyone, and all he asked were if they were good or not. I personally just lucked into a used GBE 500 and I realize how nice their amps are now. Until last week though, I like many people on this board had no idea what GB was all about.
  17. wow that really hurts consdering i was in austin for the weekend for my girlfriend's dad's birthday dude... and i really am not too ignorant (as you so claimed in your post)

i have a g&l 2005 and and the ibanez srx500 both are great basses i dont have an amp as of yet because the one i had ampeg combo i had i sold cuz i didn t have space in my freaking dorm i live in college station tx and since your only 3 hours away why dont you drive down here and see whats up at these pawn shops u might find something that you might even like.