1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz Benz amp with Mark Bass cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by srayb, Aug 20, 2012.

1. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Just wondering if anyone has done this sort of pairing, and what the characteristics are? I tend to think of the GB amps as being very clean/hifi, whereas MB have a slight colouring, but maybe these would combine well?

In particular I have a Genz Benz Shuttle-3.0 amp and want to use it with a 210 or 212 4-ohm cab... Mark Bass has a few to choose from - probably most likely candidates for me are the Traveler 102P or Standard 102HF, or New York 122.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help!

2. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    I run a Streamliner 900 thru (2) NY 604's. Great sound. Big and full, although a little bit of a different set up than what you are describing.

3. What kind of cab do you run amp with now? I would recommend not getting a 4 Ohm cab. If you do you wont be able to add a second one if you need more volume, and the difference in volume between the two cabs will be negligible.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Markbass cabs are voiced heavily on low mids in my experience, if you want a clear, uncoloured cab look at an Epifani.

5. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    +1 on the MB cabs being very low-mid heavy. If you like how the cabs sound, they're great at cutting through a mix. They're one of those "doesn't sound all that pretty by itself, but really cuts through" things.

Some people swear by them, others despise them. I had two Markbass 121 cabs for a while, but ended up going for some Genz Benz NEOX cabs. They were great, and very light cabs, but eventually wanted something without such a pronounced mid hump.

I also suggest trying the MB cabs both with the piezo tweaters and the compression horns. Personally, I found the sound of the horn drivers to be more pleasant. Your mileage may vary.

6. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Reason for me wanting 4 ohm is the amp I have is 300W @ 4ohm but only 175W @ 8ohm. I found the 8 ohm output just not enough, but the 4 ohm output is plenty for my circumstances, just stage volume,DI'ing into PA. So basically I just want a great "mini" setup so to speak. If I ever needed more (say, for outdoor gig) I could easily rent for that circumstance.

7. So what cab are you running now?

8. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm renting a Traynor TC1510 which is 4 ohm. A nice cab but 85 lbs. :) Prior to this I rented a TC410NEO, which was considerably lighter but only 8 ohms. I found with the 8 ohm cab I would be pushing my amp quite a bit in rehearsals. With the 4 ohm there is such an improvement, I turned the amp down considerably, and was still easily louder.

9. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Shuttle 9 with a Markbass 102HF - the little rig that kicks ass.

This combo sounds gooood! I push that 102HF with 900w into 4 ohms and that little box pushes some air. I am pushing the drivers of the 102HF into the front grill. Tough speakers, have not failed but I am pushing my luck.

I just got hooked with Genz Benz 212XT cab because the Markbass 120HF in not enough cabinet for a rock gig.

For just about any other kind of gig, Shuttle 9 and Markbass 102HF is a great little setup.

10. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for sharing your experience with the STD102HF cab, I think I'll consider it over the Traveler now due to some negative comments I've seen about the Traveler's piezo tweeter.

11. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    A lot of companies make a very good to great head, but very few of the "mass market" manufacturers put any thought whatsoever into their enclosures. Throw two or four like-size drivers in a box and blammo... bass cab. I think the Markbass cabs are nowhere near as nice as their heads, and the GB cabs are about the best you can buy outside of the boutique stuff in terms of construction, performance etc...

12. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    Streamliner 900 with the sealed Markbass CL410 cab is a great match for me.

13. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    Although the Epifani UL cabs are very scooped, ie. quite coloured IMHO.