Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genz Benz amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fbregy, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    Any thoughts on their new 600 watt head? It has alot of options such as tube and solid state preamps with the ability to combine. Sounded pretty good but was not able to play it through a good speaker cab. Any comments on genz benz stuff in general?

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I personally think Genz Benz is going to be the next big thing in bass amplification. On that note, I did try the head your are talking about through a matching GB 410 cab. The head was very clean sounding and can definatley get a Hi-fi sound if you are into that thing. Thing I didn't like about it though was it seemed to have a lot more mid than my taste are. Then again, it had a bunch of filter/pre shape buttons on it, and if I played around with those alonge with the EQ somemore, I probaly could have gotten a tone I really liked. All in all, it seemed like a very good quality head, espcially for the price that GB stuff goes for.

*waits for Munji to post saying how GB sucks* :D

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't own any Genz-Benz gear but I've used some at gigs where I just used what Genz-Benz gear another bassist already had set up onstage.

What I've used has thoroughly impressed me. Sure, I'd rather run through some Aguilar gear. But the Genz-Benz XB-2 stuff, (not the Genz-Benz "Live" models) I've used has been excellent. Even their 2x10 cab made me think there was a 15" in the cab because it was so "big" sounding.

Not being a G-B owner, I can't speak for their durability or service. All I know is the G-B gear I've tried has been very good.

4. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    I thought this had a good basic character but again the cab was not that nice and I was playing through a store bass ( upside down since I play lefty). If I went this route, I would probably get two aguilar 1x12 cabs. Also condidering an ashdown and ampeg svt 111 pro.
    Thanks for the replys.

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I believe that he actually said that Genz Benz totally sucks but I'm waiting for him to chime in also. :D ;)

I've never seen or tried any of the Benz amps but I'm happy with my Benz cabs.

6. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I have a 2x15 cab.. and love it!!!!!

I didn't like the head though... it was too noisy.. but that could have been just the demo amp...

I don't like GB's 10's though.. they sound like they are going to blow up...

Try thier 12's and 15's if you're looking for a cab ...

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    My Benz 410 doesn't sound that way. In fact it sound great to me. I've got two of the 112 cabs and they are very nice. :)

8. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    I have actually decided to go with an eden head.

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'd love to hear why you decided to go in the direction that you did if time permits. Did the Genz Benz head compare favorrably to the Eden head that you chose? I've never seen that GB head but I have tried many Eden products.

10. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    No problem. This was a blind purchase. I have never heard the eden due to location. I have trusted the masses and a good friend who plays for a living. I can return if not satisfied. Unfourtantly they are waiting on the next shipment to arrive so it will probably be a couple of weeks. One factor besides the feedback was size. I needed something which could be carried and stowed over head on a plane. The wt 400 fit that bill. Anyway when it arrives, it will be runnig through an aguilar 1x12 with hopefully another one added later. A full report as actual tangible equipment arrives.

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm just curious because I've never heard the Benz head. That's all. Any opinion that you can provide would be welcomed. :)

12. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    I tried the GB600 with a Live 410 Cab and thought it sounded pretty good. The only thing is the GB600 is a little under powered for the 410 cab and I wanted the ability to run two 410 cabs. The GB600 had a very clean sound; I was looking for a more dirty/grity sound.

Ended up purchasing a BassPOD - Eden WT1000 - Genz Benz Live 410 Cab. It sounds great. Eden definately has the power and a very tight low end.