Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genz Benz and Eden relation?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by masterFunk, Jan 30, 2002.

1. I went to a music store and the sales person told me this story about how Jeff Genzler of the Genz Benz, and the founder of Eden, worked at SWR together. I knew that Eden came out of SWR, but I didn't know about the GB part of the story.

Any of you know if this is true?

just curious.. because, if this is true, I think it gives one more reason to take a good look at GB's.

thanks.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's BS.

The SWR/Eden story starts at the old Acoustic company, where Russ Allee and Steve Rabe had worked together.

Allee founded Amplified Music Products (AMP) and Rabe did some design work for AMP, notably the SL-1 preamp. Then Rabe left and founded SWR.

SWR initially made only amps and preamps; when they came out with the Goliath cbainets they subcontracted Eden to build them (Eden had been in business for years selling some PA cabinets as well as other OEM cabinets such as the ones they built for Pearce). SWR also contracted with Bag End to do some driver design (notably for the Baby Blue) although I don't think Bag End ever built any actual SWR cabinets.

Since the introduction of the Goliath II, SWR has made their own cabinets. Eden then came out with their own speaker line in competition.

Davis Nordschow of Eden contracted James Demeter to help design the first Eden amplifiers, the VT.25 and VT.40. These were replaced by the current WT amps, which Russ Allee helped design.

As far as I know, Jeff Genzler has no relationship to any of these companies.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Forget about the story. Check the Genz Benz out anyway! I own two, a 410T-STD & 112T-STD, and I love them. The Eden product just doesn't impress me enough to justify the big difference in price. I don't mean to say that Eden is bad but I just like the Genz Benz tone & value better.

The hard part is finding a dealer that has some for you to try. I had to go strictly on the opinions of others before I decided to buy and it wasn't easy finding people that use these cabs. It's still such a small company now that the public just hasn't responded to them as they would to some of the more popular options. I'm sold though.

For my next cab purchase, I'm saving up for some of these: Genz Benz XB2 Series Enclosures. The few people that I found that use the XB2 cabs chose them over Eden cabs and they seemed to be extremely happy. Oddly enough, a lot of the feedback that I got came from Eden owners who liked the Benz but just preferred the Edens.

One last note. Due to the fact that I was having such a difficult time trying to locate anyone to give me feedback on these cabs, I decided to call The Genz Benz office. I reached a receptionist and after explaining my dilemma to her she stated that she would need to place me on hold while she got someone to assist me.

Was I ever surprised to be greeted by Jeff Genzler himself. He took the time to explain things to me that had nothing to do with his cabs and he didn't sound at all impatient while doing so. I felt that he truly wanted me to have success regarding any product that I decided to purchased. Shortly after that I was able to acquire the two Benz cabs that I have. I'm now a card carrying Genz Benz fanatic! I've always liked the underdog anyway. ;)

4. I suggest somebody uses the search function to find my ordeal with Genz Benz, it would take too long to type...but because of what happened, I refuse to buy anymore Genz Benz products.

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    The way I see it, who cares who makes the stuff. As long as they sound good and are reliable I could care less who makes them.:)

6. Thanks for the replies.

I tired the 410T-xb2 going through alembic pre and QSC power. I faced the other way so I wasn't looking at the cabinets. Then I told the sales person to switch back and forth between the Eden 410-Xlts and the GB.. you know what? I am in no way a tone expert, but I know what I like. and I like GB. I can't say yet that I preffer GB over Eden, sound wise, but I definitely can say so, if I put the cost in to the equation..!

I am in the market for a 2-10 cab, and GB is now on my list...

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Be careful! They just might grow on you! ;)

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The 410-XB is a serious cab... and affordable too.