Genz Benz anybody?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Happy MurphDay, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    Hey all, my local GC has a Genz Benz 410T-XB2, for $450, i fiddled around with it at low volumes, and was impressed, but i couldt crank it. nobody around here plays them, and i was wondering how they are, i see very few threads about them and just want to know if it can handle a low B well, and are they a good stand alone cab? i have a eden nav. wt1000 setup with the t410 and bottom 115d, i was thinking about upgrading to 4x10 xlt and 1x15xlt cabs from eden, i just want to know how they compare because i just ran across it

any help would be greatly appreciated
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

A couple years ago I borrowed a Genz Benz 4x10 (XB I think, not XB2) and used it for some rehearsals and gigs. I was extremely impressed... and I play 5-string. I also did a music store audition and thought the GB compared favorably with SWR, Ampeg, and Eden. I've heard that the XB2 cabs are even better but haven't tried one. The only reason I didn't choose Genz Benz speakers for myself is that I went with a significantly more expensive brand (Bergantino).
  3. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    Thanks Fuzz, just a few more questions, what kind of amp did you use, and was the cab by itself, and how much were they asking, i dont know if when i upgrade i get genz, im sorry for the dumb questions, i just want to know if its comparatable to the 410xlt (better worse?)
  4. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I like GenzBenz stuff also, Do a search there has been a few threads on GB stuff as of late. I just picked up a Genz GBE600 head and it is a killer piece of eqiupment...
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I just ordered a 2 10 GB cab. I am impressed with their work. I am currently running a GK thru a bag end 3 10 but wanted something a little i think it sounds better...

And it can definitely handle your B string thang.
  6. They work real well, I almost bought one. NEVER buy their cabs, the speakers suck.
  7. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    Whats so wrong with thier speakers/cabs?

i just want to be a informed consumer
  8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    GB vs. Eden:

GB tight and punchy simialrly to Eden, but much cleaner. More hi-fi as opposed to Eden's signature mid-rangey cutting tone.

I had an XB 410 and found nothing whatsoever wrong with the tone or volume. I didn't care for the size and weight though. I have had lots of store time with an XB2 210 and found it to have adequate depth and volume even for a low B-string. I have had nothing but good experiences with their cabs. I have heard mostly good things about them on here. I think as their heads go, the 600 is light years ahead of the other amps they offer IMO with better tone and flexibility(although for the money, I don't think you can top any of them).

Genz Benz = Lots of tone for not so much money. Jeff's a heck of a nice guy too... :smug:
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I powered the borrowed GB 410XB with my rack: Alembic tube preamp into one channel of my Stewart 2.1 power amp, which puts 650W into 4 ohms. My rack rig gets no PA support, and the GB gave me all the volume I needed and good tone too. I've never gigged with a 410XLT, but in the music store showdown (for what that's worth; I wasn't shaking the walls) I didn't think the GB was inferior to the Eden, it just had a somewhat different tonal curve.
  10. I have a ML 200 210 combo and love it. I have had zero problems with it, tone that I want/get is excellent IMO. Priced right and it's small enough to get into the car.
  11. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    thanks guys, ill test it out at the store, but for what you guys have said, it sounds good, if i get it, ill throw up a review
  12. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I had their 210 combo for a while and a 1x15 LS series cab. The combo farted out after 2 gigs. Funny thing, it wasn't the speakers. I took it in to be checked out and they said the speakers were fine and that it was probably the load protection circuitry. Anyways, I felt that the GB combo was lacking and traded it in for an SVT-3Pro head and an Avatar B212. The 1x15 was one of their budget cabs - it could get pretty boomy at times, so I had to watch my EQ settings. Other than that, it did a fine job. If I were going to go GB again, I'd definitely stick with their higher end products. I'm happy with my new rig.
  13. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I had a ML200-115T combo. I found the eq very lacking and the unvariable tweeter very frustrating. It made me not want to practice. I found I prefer a more colored tone too. It was decently loud for 200W and it could bump pretty damn good though.
  14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
  15. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    I owned 2 xb2's. They are awesome cabs. Whoever said their speakers suck?!?! What?!? I have never had any issues with them. I powered them with a Mesa 400+ and at one time a GK 1001. They are durable, heavy, large and they sound great..but the newer ones have the wheels and tilt bar on top. Get it for that price it's a good deal.\

16. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    It's a personal prefence thing. I was up against the same dilemma about a year ago and I went with the Eden D410xlt. But that is my personal flavor, try what you can. I have nothing bad to say about that cab.
  17. Well, I was looking to get a GB stack, and 3 out 0f 4 stores I went to, the speakers had gone bad in a small amount of time.
  18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Man, it sure seems like you're the only person that has such a negative opinion of Genz Benz cabs.
  19. Well, that's my opinion on them. The cabs just may have not been the best type of GB cabs. I don't know, but they didn't work. :confused:
    But the one that did work, it sounded good.
  20. I have the 2x10 combo and it has never failed me, including the speakers. Played it out the same day I got it and have never looked back.