Genz Benz, Avatar or dr bass 2x10;2x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Which is better in terms of a clean sound that can go low for a b string and not sound muddy? I play funk, jazz, gospel if that helps. Also I am searching for a nice warm tone but that might be found in the amp I choose?
  2. My vote goes for the Genz Benz. It'll easily handle the B.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    You play EXACTLY what I play. :hyper:

For an amp, I have a Kustom Groove Bass 1200...plenty of warm tone and enough juice to peel paint if I need to. 800 watts @ 4 ohms and 1200 watts @ 2 ohms. As for the cabs, I just got an Avatar 410 NEO and it was going to be matched to a 210 NEO (both @ 4 ohms), but I just found out that Avatar is coming out with a 212 NEO in June, so I'll be exchanging for that. The 410 is monster, though. The sucker is LOUD and hits you dead in your chest.

Good luck on your choice!!
  4. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I don't know about Avatar or Dr. Bass, but i really like the genz benz cab--it's easy to handle, loud, and it has a "hi fi" sound without being to clean or sterile sounding. It projects really well life, handles the low b extremely well and is really versatile
  5. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I like the Dr. Bass because its about 20lbs lighter than the others.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    FYI, the Avatar 212 NEO (in late June) will be about 55lbs...nosure how heavy the Dr. Bass 212 is.
  7. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Do they have a website? Can't seem to find them...
  8. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    I have a Genz Benz 410XB2, The cab is very under rated and gives a monsterous B, but the cab it self is a monster, it weights just under a 100lbs, but is built to last, and it looks just as good with the white background plus it has casters on the back side built in and a handle on the top so you can tilt it back, its about 6-7inhes taller than a usual 4x10 cab because it has the ports at the bottom, it also lifts the speakers off the ground that much more so its a little closer to ear level(obviously not that much, but its still 7 inches higher)

I would also look into the Genz Benz neo 212, I hear that that cab is amazing

The only experiance I have with Avatar is that for X-mas, I bought my dad a CB12 and a CB15, the compact versions of the cabs, so when he goes to Florida he can use a mini stack, they sound really good together, but he left the CB115 at home, and it sits perfectly on the genz, I really can't give an honest opinion because comparing a 4x10 to a 112, obviously the 4x10 will over power it
  9. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
  10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

A BIG plus 1 on the Groove Bass 1200!!! Click on my head thread below!
  11. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I can only speak for the Genz Benz cabs. i use a GB 2x10 xb, and a 15. I really like these cabs. I run them with a Trace Elliot 250w head. They sound very good. Clean, Loud and punchy. They have no problems handling low frequencies. I use them in a metal band, but they would be great for rock, jazz or gospel too. The only thing I'm not crazy about is they're kinda heavy, the 15 especially. If I were to get another set I'd get the neos.
  12. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I can only vouch for the Genz. It does everything thrown at it, including the low B, quite well.
  13. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    you can find drbass :cool:
  14. +2
  15. nspbass

Nov 26, 2004
    It's all about the 212's, baby. I've got the Avatar B212 and I can't imagine a better sound. Whatever you get, go with the 212. I'm sure the GB would be awesome, but probably costs about 2X as much as the Avatar and Dr. Bass.

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What head are you going to be using on this? Or are you looking for head suggestions as well? If so, for the warm extreme there is the Traynor YBA 200, 200 all tube watts. If you want something nice and clean, go for a GK head. For something in between, check out the Yorkville 800 watter or (I personally don't like it but a lot of people do) the Kustom Groovebass. For the cab, I suggest you find a used SWR Gol III, which can be had for about $500.
  17. buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    If you call & talk to Marc at Dr. Bass he will also customize cabs for you. I am playing a Dr Bass 212 that he upgraded to 800 watts rms at 8 ohms to match up with my Eden WT-800 to play bridged. I have a small rig with a big sound.

Now that said, when I need a big rig, I have an Avatar 410 and 210 (both 4 ohms) that I run the Eden dual mono to get more surface area, and therefore more sound for the larger venues.

For the low B, I would stick with the 2x12 configuration for sure.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Man, I was going for the same rig! But I just sent back my 410 and I'm waiting for the 212 NEO...I've been playing a 15" combo for years, and could pull the low end outta that 410...good cab, though...just not for my style of music,