1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz, Avatar, or Schroeder?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by songwriter21, Sep 5, 2008.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Ok, so I've made a new selection of finalists for a big-sounding, but light/fairly light cab for the stage.

There's the Genz Benz Uber 210, the Avatar B212Neo, or the new Schroeder 15+L. Keep in mind I'd be running these at 8 ohms through a GK 1001RB-II. I've currently got an SWR Son of Bertha, and while I can tolerate the 60 pound weight (even though it sucks going up four flights of stairs), it doesn't cut enough.

The Schroeder is obviously the lightest by far, but I want something, too, that will cut enough for me to hear myself clearly and easily over our LOUD drummer.

Well, opinions?

2. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    If you are looking for something to compete with a loud drummer I would cross any mfg's 210 cab off your list.
    I would change your choices to include GB's 212 cab instead of the 210.
    For the money the Avatar Neo212 is hard too beat, they sound good and are priced cheap.

3. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    While I have no experience with any of thoses specific cabs, I can tell you from experience that both Avatar and Schroeder produce very good to excelent enclosures. GB has a sterling reputation as well.

You probably can't go wrong with any of the options you listed, though I tend to agree that the GB 212 may be a better choice than the 210.

4. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    The Avatar B212 would pair very nicely with the GK and you'll have no problem competing with a loud drummer.

5. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    +1... and the Uber210 is brand new. Probably wont get a lot of folks who actually have hands on, unless 'hasbeen' can lend a review. If it is anything like the Uber410, I would expect it to peel your face off... LOL
    I DO agree with Vinny that the 112Neox is one to add to the list. It has been described as the 'best 115 I've ever played through"!!

6. Wait. So did you misread the post or are you saying the avatar 1x12 cabinet sounds like a 1x15 cab?!?

I ask because I've been looking for a new cab and I like 15's... I was wondering if the avatar 2X12 would get me close enough.

7. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Sorry, no... the Genz Neox 112T sounds like a 1x15 cab. It is 300 watts / 8 ohms and pure bass heaven!!!

The Genz 212 is a great cabinet too...( I DID mis-read Vinny's post, oops...) ... although I prefer 2x112's, to me it seems that 1+1= more than 2!!

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I dont think any cab cuts better than a schroeder.

9. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I must concur here. I did an outdoor gig last night with a 10,000 watt PA system. My SVT 4pro/310212 combo was loud enough to carry the venue without PA support. When asked to turn down to a suitable level by the PA guy, my master volume was barley up to 30%.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If the drummer is loud, as I think of loud drummers - none of those cabs is going to do it... I would step up to either the schroeder 21012 L or 410L - not a lot lighter than your 60 lb SOB but no comparison in terms of punch, tone and power handling.

With the 410 you sacrifice low end up close in favor of volume and punch - the punch is just terriffic. The 21012 is more pleasing to me tonally. The low end is deeper and looser which fit's my style better. If I still needed a setup to compete with a loud drummer - I would still own the 21012L -

I've owned all 3 generations of the Avatar. I'm a huge fan of the 1001 RB II. One of my local bud's run's that setup and while his drummer isn't what I think of as loud - that Avatar does nicely. It's a great working man's rig IMO. I actually ran 2 of those cab's for a show. That was enough to keep up with Mr Loud ...

I honestly desire to never be on stage with a really loud drummer again, ever ... The last one just damned well did me in for it ... How loud is loud ? Well I could hear the bass guitar coming from the drum monitor over my amp - that's too friggin' loud ...

11. mikeluch

mikeluch Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    For a light weight rig, I love my Scroeder 15L with my Shuttle 6.0. I run it at 4 ohms and when I want a bigger sound pair the 15 with a Schroeder 1210 wiith an Eden Head.

12. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I have both the 2x12 and 4x10 Avatar,and I use the 410 exclusively.The 2x12 is a bit deeper tone wise,but the 4x10 is capable of some serious,tight low end.I use mine with an early Thunderfunk 550 into the 8 ohm Avatar,and it's plenty loud.I have previousely used Bergantino,and Accugroove,and the Avatar put them to shame.The price is just the icing on the cake.

13. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    Are you still happy with 15L combined with the shuttle?

14. I have an Avatar 4x10 and it is the ONLY part of my gigging rig that I haven't changed, or even considered changing to date. That being said... the other options seem very sound too. It just depends on how much coin that you want to drop.

Ox.

15. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Ive used both the 212 and 410 neos, and my 1215L blows them both away in terms of cut and low end.