Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genz Benz cabinets??? Any comments?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Metalhead500, Jul 2, 2001.

1. Metalhead500

Metalhead500

Jan 23, 2001
    Im tryin to decide between a genz benz 4x10 cabinet and head (not sure what kind of head) and a peavey firebass 700 head w/ 4x10 cab. Im in a metal band so I definitly need the punch and the volume. they r about the same price except the genz is used and the peavey is new. Lemme know if u have any insight.

James

2. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    are you undecided on the head you would pair with the genz benz or is it that you can't remember what kind of head it was?

as people have said on here before, used speaker cabs can be sketchy, especially if you don't know what to look for. i don't have much experience with genz benz cabs...

even though i'm not a huge peavy fan, i'm starting to come around. i've played the firebass, and i think it sounds pretty good. besides that, it's affordable and built like a tank. billy gould (faith no more) always played a peavy rig, and i like his tone. (of course, he played zon basses too) i'd probably go with the firebass and a 4x12 (yes, peavy makes a 4x12 bass cab). that'd be a big enuf knutsack for a metal band.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think Genz Benz builds great cabinets. I have two, one has my band's PA system in it, and the other has my recording gear in it. Heavy-duty, well constructed. Oh, you want SPEAKER cabinets? That's different. Never heard anything good about 'em.

4. I really like the cover you can get to protect the grill - i think its a gerat idea

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The 410XB has a ton of low end...more than I wanted. I know several people who gig with them and love them. They're also relatively inexpensive, especially used. If you like the sound they're a very good choice.

6. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    The other day I played a Genz Benz 610 XB through a music man head and it sounded awesome. Lots of low end. Only 550 slightly used. The only thing is having to lug that thing around.

Dirk

7. I've got a 4X10 XB and it's got a heap of low end and made really well. I use it to gig and the only thing I've found wrong with it is the weight factor, for it's size and portability if you are like me and own a hatch it can be a pain in the ass.
    I would personally look into both and test out which ones sound you like better for me it was the GB because of the tight low end and tight mid.