Genz Benz combo questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Danham, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA
    It turns out the Yorkville XS400 is just out of my price range. I've now settled on the Genz Benz ML200-115T. It was either that or the Peavey Combo 115 or Yorkville XM200. I like Peavey tone but then again I don't. My friend has a TNT (an older one without a tweeter), it has a great aggressive tone but no real lows or highs. All mids. I've read several posts on TB about Yorkvilles having a very "uncolored" tone comparable to PA's. I don't think I would like that.

I'm curious about a few of the GBenz's features. It has two separate 100W power amps instead of a single 200W. Alone the amp runs them bridged and with a flick of a switch you can split them for using an extension cab. How does that compare to a single 200W power amp. It also has a "soft limit" circuit instead of a limiter knob. Good/Bad? I'm also worried about the tweeter not having any separate volume controls. Keep in my mind I'm using an Ibanez EDA905, will it be too bright? I leave the piezo bass at max and use only enough piezo in the mix to give a little more defintion to my tone.

I know some of you are going to say I should get the 2X10 version but I actually want the duller sound of the 15". So if anybody has any experience with Genz Benz combos please give me your opinion.:bassist:
  2. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002

Sorry, I haven't had any experience with Genz-Benz gear. However, having two seperate power sections that run bridged when the combo is used standalone seems like a great idea; you get the benefit of the amp running full power without an extension cab. A normal 200 watt combo that has the ability to drive a second cab most likely does not put 200 watts in the speaker when used without an extension cabinet. When an extension cabinet is used, the full 200 watts of the amp will be utilized, split evenly between the speaker built in and the extension cabinet.

The Yorkville, assuming it works as I understand it, puts 200 watts in the 15" speaker while used standalone. Neat.

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA

I have an older model of the ML 200-T called the ML 115. It has 135 watts and no extension speaker. The only caveat is that Genz Benz tries to put out amps which don't color the natural sound of your bass. The sound my amp has is very similar to the sound coming out of the PA. I have a simple 4 band rotary EQ on the amp and we set the PA rotaries exactly the same. I love the amp, but if you want a certain amp voice, you may want to buy another brand. (ampeg, GK, Hartke, etc.