1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz Benz Contour

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Does the Genz Benz Contour get much love? I played today and I was impressed. It sounded great, and I managed to make a passive Jazz get a very active tone with it.

2. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    On YouTube I saw that it is new model that was released at this year's NAMM. It looks to be no lightweight. I am guessing it is about 60 lbs.

3. Faraday

Faraday

Jun 20, 2012
    I don't know if it gets much love but I played one recently at Elderly and it sounded very good. The tone controls give you a lot of control between twiddling the dials and changing my right-hand work, I got a lot of different sounds out of it.

I played some Ps and some Js, including the active Deluxes. To my ears, the American Standard old-style passives sound a little better than the Deluxes in active or passive mode, but it might go the opposite way for someone else. With an amp like the Contour that has plenty of tone control, including the ability to add, not just subtract, I'm not sure what the on-board pre-amp does better for you.

I also played the Fender reverse not-T-bird I forget its name, and didn't care of its sound - but again, others might like it.

One thing I noticed related to another thread on the 50-year-old question of Ps and Js was that although I could get a J to sound a lot like a P, I couldn't get any J to sound just like a P. The difference was subtle but noticeable playing one right after the other, but I don't know if it would have been noticeable to anyone without finely-tuned ears if I were playing a J on a gig without A/B ing it to a P. I couldn't get a P to sound as much like a J as the other way around.

The Contour made or let both of them sound like the great basses that they are. It even made a cheap, short-scale Hofner Club sound pretty good. No Epiphone Woody or Jack basses around, so I'm not sure how the Contour would sound with them.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I played a passive Squier and a Jazz from what used to be the Highway 61 Series through the Contour, and they did come to life. I could see where an onboard preamp would be overkill. I am going to play it again with my TL-5 in passive mode.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    For accuracy, the Contour 115 is 48 lbs and the 210 is 52 lbs.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's not as bad as I thought it was, but it is 15-17 pounds heavier that some of the current ultra lightweight combos.

7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Correct, it's not an ultra-lightweight product.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    52 lbs. for the 2x10 combo is not bad at all, IMO. You guys did a great job with the Contour! I may be doing the bar thing fora while, and I may one up if I have any issues with my G-K MB210.

9. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I have a 210 combo on loan right now. I have not had too much opportunity to play it though since im using my larger genz gear on my gigs for months now ..
    But the 210 is glorious, loud and the Contour control is a real nice feature to enhance the semi para Mid EQ...
    The 210 combo mates well with an UNER115 under it too... For when you need that added ummph in a bigger gig...
    The 210 is not like a box of air, but its close

10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Hi Kirk,

How's the summer touring season working out for you? I Just got done with 40 shows, I probably look like you feel ;)

The Contour, for your particular applications is probably a good smaller club rig rather than your usual touring rig approach as you typically play larger venues in the warm (read as hotter than hell) months.

11. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Hi Andy.. Doing alot of one offs.. FLA to TX to PA then back to TX. it is wearing me out...
    Gear is going non stop though... I switch between my SM9.2 and my STL900... but always with those Uber 115s...
    I need to call Jeff this week though and catch up...

I have used the Contour 210 on a club gig with PA support and it was plenty loud ..... with the uber 115 as an extension i can do a real loud gig...
    Im looking into getting a Steinberger EUB soon... for some gigs when i am home.... Need to try it through the Contour

12. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

I have no personal expeience with these (yet) but I am concerned with any amp or cab that is close to 50 pounds and has one top handle rather than two side handles. I've handled other cabs/combos in the past like that and found it difficult to carry through hallways, doorways, up and down steps, etc. Can anyone who is gig'ing bars and small clubs with one comment?

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is a concern. If you have a hand truck or luggage cart, it would be very manageable, but a combo with a $900 street price should have come with side handles.

14. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

I do have a nice folding hand truck and use it when I move my big rig (usually a 2x15). But, I shouldn't need a hand truck to move a combo IMO.

15. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    I had a Contour 210 on loan for a while.. Only got to use it on a few gigs since my gigs right now are larger gig.. And there was NO issue in transporting it... I am 6ft tall. but have a bad back.. Its almost like lifting a box of air..

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's good news for sure because after playing my TL-5 through one, I am definitely a fan!

17. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    I had a TL5 back in 89... Great bass..... Wish i still had it....

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's what people always say about old Peaveys!

19. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    I was in tour with debbie gibson and Peavey sent me one. I would up using it alot! It was lightweight flame maple too..transparent charcoal grey..... frets and neck were great....
    Great mid punch.. I think it would go nicely with the Contour..
    The 210 is pretty darn light, and punchy that can get a nice growl with a 2 pickup bass.....
    It will keep up with a moderately loud drummer with ease.. and as i said earlier.the GENZ DI is pristine.. Use mine in teh SM9.2 and streamliner All the time...

20. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I just couldn't decide between keeping my Ampeg PF500 and getting the Focus 15 or replacing it with the Contour 500 15.

You know what that means ........

GenzBenzrig.

The Ampeg PF500 went bye bye on a trade in with some cash and now I have 500 watts of Genz Benz goodness :hyper:

Can't wait to really crank this sucker and so happy to be back in the Genz Benz world :hyper: