1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz Benz Focus LT speaker cab insulation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pocketmaster, Mar 5, 2013.

1. pocketmaster

pocketmaster

May 17, 2007
    My new Focus LT 112 arrived and the interior looks a little odd. White insulation is clearly visible through the front ports.
    The cab sounds fine, but what will the audience think?

1. Return it?
    2. Take a razor blade and trim it myself?
    3. Take some flat black spray paint and paint it black?

What would you do?

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Just get a stick and poke it back up there. Probably shifted during shipping.

3. pocketmaster

pocketmaster

May 17, 2007
    It is not loose. It is stapled down. One side is clearly longer than the other side.

I read somebody say that the cabs are not well made. The wood used for the little vertical vents looks like somebody shaped it with an ax. And no insulation on the back wall. What up with that?

4. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    If you like the sound, I say do whatever to make it livable. I returned two of these cabs for defects, a bum speaker and a bad horn switch, so there's at least a chance of receiving a bigger issue with the replacement if you try to exchange this one.

5. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    It looks like shoddy workmanship to me. And no damping on the back wall ? :rollno: Sounds like the same issues owners were having with the GK cabs.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The insulation being in that spot is ok as long as it's not blocking the port entrance. Most builders would've just sprayed a little flat black on that part ao it isn't visible. Not having any on the back wall is a no-no. It's kind of weird they would've taken the time to put some in there somewhere, but not do the back wall, which is what makes the biggest reflection.

Could say "how's it sound?" but that won't tell you too much solo. Those cancellations are more destructive trying to fit in a band mix and/or getting your sound lost around the room with the whole band playing.

For example, if it's notching out some mid freq. due to the cancellation, it can make the cab sound seemingly bassy for its size, but will get uou lost in a mix, especially in already problem rooms.

7. Give the insulation visible in the vent area a spritz of flat black spray paint. Or... take the grill and driver out and remove the insulation that can be seen thru the vent, especially if it is very near the inside vent opening. It can easily be cut with a good pair of scissors. Insulation too close or in the vent will cause a reduction in vent effectiveness.

The amount and general placement of insulation is a design choice, and it can really impact cab voicing. In a case where the cab is not fully lined, doing so will usually result in smoother sound, but a loss of 'character' (like growl, etc.). You can easily experiment, but if you already like the tone of a cab, changing the insulation amount and placement will not necessarily result in an improvement. Insulation is a very low cost item that is easily installed (comes as sheets, often fastened with wood staples). Reflection and resonance in a cab are valid and potent tools for cab voicing.

Vent partitions look fine in the images. They do need to be solidly glued along their entire length.

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    This can be repaired under warranty at any gb or fender service center. Pm me with your location and I will help you get this resolved.

There should be some damping material on the back of the cabinet, just not visible, becsuse its above the area visible through the port.

You can also trim the visible insulation back if that's easier for you to do.

9. pocketmaster

pocketmaster

May 17, 2007
    Thanks. I will put a blade on a long stick and see if I can cut a nice straight edge on both sides.

Thanks for the tip about the padding on the back. I figured there must be something going on to control the sound waves.

It's interesting to notice the price point ($349) and then listen to the killer sound from the magnetic driver. What if the cost went up by $75 or $100 and the cabinet was really well made with closer grained wood and more finishing time. I, for one, would gladly pay more because the sound is terrific. The Shuttle amp loves it, and notes jump out of the cab with real intention--up and down the neck--no dead spots.

10. pocketmaster

pocketmaster

May 17, 2007
    Problem solved. I trimmed it. Thanks for the feedback.

11. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    No problem. You can always PM me if you need anything else.