1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz Benz GB 410T-XB2 w/ GB Neox 212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mettec, May 3, 2006.

1. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I just acquired a Genz Benz GB 410T-XB2 cab to go along with my Genz Benz GBE750 amp. After a A/B test with my SWR 8x10 Megoliath it seems to me that these 2 cabs have a simular tone with only the highs being a lot brighter with the GB. I am wondering how much would my tone change if I would add a Genz Benz Neox 212 cab to the mix? I originally was going to go with 2 Bergantino HT-322 cabs but I got this GB 410 brand new for a steal of a deal ($500) and couldn't pass that up. Any experience with this set up or should I sell and go with the Bergs?

2. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    Do you like the sound of the GB410? That's the place to start with your decision.

The GB410, the GB Neox and the Berg are all different cabs with different tones. What type of tone are you after?

Please note: you said the GB cab was bright. If it is too bright, you do have a variable attenuator in the back. I'm sure you knew that.....

3. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    PS- if you added the Neox-212T to your rig, you would get more bottom end and some more hi-fi quality to your tone.

The Neox is livelier sounding and feeling while the GB410T is fatter.

4. I've got the GBE600 and the 410T XB2 cab, and am thinking about adding the NEO 212T to it as well. Let me know how your results go.

5. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Well the funny thing is that when I tried the 410 with a GBE600 at the music store it was earthshaking and very warm sounding. Then I took it to my practice space and it sounded simular to my SWR but with more defined highs. And now last night I played it on a hugh stage and it had a nice full sound with out it being to boomy but still lacked the tone that I witnessed at the music store even with major tweeking. Maybe I am used to the height of the SWR being that it is taller with the sound being at ear level rather then waist level could make a difference. I also been thinking of putting a quality compressor in the mix to tighten the sound up but I am curious on how the 212 would sound.

6. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Sorry I forgot to add what sound I am looking for. Earthshaking lows with a nice growl, ability to cut through wall of distorted guitars without being to mid-rangy, and a smooth top end. Will adding Neox 212 help?

7. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis

I I actually found a local music store that had a Neox 212 and went today to try it out. First I tried the 212 by itself then A/B it to my 410 and finally stacked the 410 on top of the 212 (lying on its side) using a Modulus Q5 and a Fender Jazz bass. The 212 is incredible sounding. Clean with thunderous low end and plenty of punch. The 410 is defiantly different sounding with more mids and highs then the 212. Put them together flick the 2-ohm switch on and I heard a stack that Satan would be proud of. Incredible low end and it literally shook the entire store even with all levels at about the 10 & 11 o'clock positions without the speakers bottoming out. Clean, punchy, musical sounding, and powerful. I am going to get one and you should check into it as well. Thank you Genz Benz for some awesome products.

8. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    it will certainly add lows. Partly because of the cab design, partly because of the fact that they're 12"s but a lot also has to do with the fact that you're simply adding more speakers and will move more air.

They are not mid heavy at all and have wonderully sweet high end. Growly, that's a tuff one. If you're talking classic rock type growly.....probably not. If your bass is growly though and your trying to reproduce that, since the NeoX are kind of hi-fi, it will definetly pick it up.

9. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I played out with my new 410 again tonight and I will say that I have not heard a more cutting through tone then with this setup. I still will be buying a Neox 212 just to add a little more bottom. I was wrong about it sounding like my SWR cab it really is different and all my band guys said it has a killer sound. The band and I could hear every note that I played unlike my SWR, which was loud and had lots of low end but was muddy and boomy compared to the Genz Benz.