1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz GBE 1200 for a GK 1001rb, am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Murph_Orpheus, May 1, 2010.

1. Ever since I tried out the GK I've been wanting get one so bad, and I find it gives me more lows than the Genz, which is what I want mainly. Of course I think the Genz could be more versatile. Am I crazy to think of selling the GB to buy a 1001rb?

2. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Not if it is what you want. My personal preference is for the GB, but if the GK gives you your tone, go for it. I can say that I find it hard to believe that the GK gives more lows than the GB. My 1200 (which has been replaced by a Shuttle 9.0) could cause some serious damage!

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I dunno - I can say with complete honesty that a 700rb-II puts out way more low end than a GBE 600 does, and they're similarly rated, power-wise... Although I absolutely LOVE the way Genz runs their company, and backs their products, I've found G-K amps to have ALOT of power and low end for their ratings... If I could get the kind of low end out of a Genz amp that I get from my G-K's, I'd switch over in a heartbeat...

- georgestrings

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Regarding the OP: I don't think I'd make that trade, as the GBE 1200 is worth considerably more than the 1001rb-II... I'd sell the GBE 1200 outright, buy a new 1001rb-II(or 700rb-II, for that matter) - and pocket the difference...

- georgestrings

5. @georgestrings: yeah I meant that I'd be selling it to buy the 1001rb. There's no way I'd trade it just for that!

I guess I have a lot more thinking to do!

6. GigJones

GigJones

Jun 10, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I played through a Genz-Benz once – too wooly for my ears. If you’re looking for a clear, tight, punchy sound that cuts through, you’ll be very happy with the 1001RB-II. I run mine through a GK Neo 2x12-II and just love it.

7. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Have you tried them both in a band setting?

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Cool - I just thought I'd put it out there, considering the wording of your OP... If you really liked the 1001rb-II, you should try the 700rb-II before buying - I actually prefer it over the 1001rb-II... Don't let G-K's ratings fool you - the 480 watts the 700rb-II puts out is actually louder than many other company's 600 watts... I've played some big outdoor stages, and have never had my 700 up even near half volume - and that's in loud modern rock/metal bands...

- georgestrings

9. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    You have to go with what your ears are telling you. For me, the GK 1001RBII delivers incredible lows. I use mine with an SWR 6x10 cab and I get incredible clean low end.

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, that Goliath Sr is a great cab...

- georgestrings

11. Yeah I have and while I find the GB is really nice, the GK gave me far more low end.

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I wouldn't make that swap unless I had played them both through the same cab and confirmed what I THOUGHT I heard. I seriously question whether the G-B is lacking in low end.

13. It's not that the GB is lacking in low end, I just find the GK happens to have MORE low end. And I've played both through the same cab. I'll probably make my mind up over the next few days.

14. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Well, I think you are...but that is not you! The amps are different, not better - either way you have a winner.

Dan K.

15. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Good stuff. If you like what you heard and felt that the boost in low end was usable and tasteful in the band setting, then by all means play what appeals most. As mentioned many times, there is no right or wrong - only how you want to sound :)

16. GigJones is right on the money about the GK1001RBII and the GK Neo212 sound.

17. Bulldog

Bulldog

Feb 20, 2010
    That's beautiful, man!

I have a 1001rb-II, and it has more power and low end than I think I'll ever need. I love it. YMMV ;)

18. I think the GBE 1200 is more in line with the GK 2001 as far as original price is concerned. I am a GK guy. Have a 550 and a 2001 and previously owned a 700RB and a 1001RB-II. The 1001 is a great head but for me is my least favourite GK head for a few different reasons. I wouldn't do an even trade myself as I think you are coming up short value wise on your end.

I used to own a GBE 750. Really wanted to like it but all the EQ available was too much for me to get my head around. I didn't end up finding a sound that I really liked. If you like the hybrid stuff I would try a Fusion 550. Way different sound then the GBE hybrid stuff. IMO.

19. I'm not neear as knowladgavle as these guys^^
    but Ive used a few GK's(includidng a 1001rb back when I think) and for ME the GBE 1200 rig I have now mops the floor with them in LOW end and overall headroom and sheer volume.

Plus I found the Genz to be wayy more versatile in terms of tone.PLUS I found the customer support to be night and day with Genz.Means a lot if u need it.

Still a mad lover of GK but Im biasedly pointing to the genz!!

IF you do the switch be sure to get yer trade and some cash on top,as the genz is worth alot more IMO.

Good luck!

20. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    The GK 1001 RBII is a mother of a head. I think I may pick one up again.