Genz Benz GBE 1200 Hum/Buzz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by N8D, Feb 2, 2024.

1. N8D

N8D

Feb 2, 2024
    Hey all, just picked up a Genz Benz GBE 1200, and while it sounds great it has a nasty buzz present on both the fet and tube channels. This buzz comes through the di output on the head, and is unaffected by the ground switch. I am certain it is the head as I didn't have this issue with my other head and nothing has changed except the head. Anyone ran into this issue or have an ideas what could be the source of the problem? I really wanted a 2 ohm head and this was about the only one I could find that I really liked. Do I just get my money back?

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I would be inclined to return it.

The GBE1200 pops up at a good price fairly regularly. I suggest getting one that includes a footswitch. GC Used currently has one listed for $679, but I don't see any mention of the footswitch.

Not sure if @agedhorse does flat-rate repairs on this model, but I am sure he will respond fairly quickly.

bottomzone likes this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I do repair these but they are expensive to ship. I also have the foot switches in stock.

That said, this is an uncommon problem but there’s no way to know the history of the amp, possible attempted repairs causing the issues, or shipping damage.

These typically run between 2
    $200 and $300 to repair, plus the return shipping. You can message me and I will get you the necessary information.

4. N8D

N8D

Feb 2, 2024

5. N8D

N8D

Feb 2, 2024
    So believe it or not, the buzz was coming from some weird combination on my pedal board. I borrowed a Walrus Audio Canvas tuner from a band mate since the Genz doesn't fit in the rack case with my rack tuner and that Walrus tuner + my Darkglass Microtubes x Ultra somehow created the noise. I don't know how that's possible, but when I bypassed the Darkglass the noise lessened, and when I removed the tuner from the chain the noise vanished. The only thing I can think of is it has something to do with the fact that I don't have a dedicated power supply for the board and am just daisy chaining a plug to stuff for now. Either way, very happy to report a working amp that absolutely blows my svt 7 pro out of the water

6. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: For brand affiliations visit www.kmcmusic.com
    I'm glad it worked out for you. The GBE1200 is my favorite solid state head of all times. Side note to anyone that cares: Whenever there are gremlins in an amp, bypass everything and go straight in. If that doesn't fix it, try a different AC outlet, even a different room.

I can't stand hums, blips and snorts of any kind coming out of my rig. Just the other day, I plugged into a favorite amp of mine and "voila"....noise. I bypassed everything.....STILL THERE. I then looked around my music room for what was different. Well, the day before I purchased a new, table top lamp. I thought "well, that can't be it because it's just a normal lamp and it's plugged into a different outlet. I still unplugged it. MAGIC.....noise in my rig was gone.

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    It becomes all about the quality of the troubleshooting.

8. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    With all the electronic stuff connected to the house wiring, the harmonics on the power lines, that are generated can be quite dense, and a lot of those electronics, in LED bulbs are ...well S@#$t

rapidfirerob and hasbeen like this.