Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GENZ BENZ gbe 500h head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by akimbo, May 2, 2005.

1. akimbo

akimbo

Nov 5, 2004
    Has anyone ever heard of/ experienced anything good/bad about this head. Any info. would be great.

2. akimbo

akimbo

Nov 5, 2004
    I would like to even hear from one person who has even seen this head before. I've been tyrin to find someone for so long who knows anything about this....I think I must have found the only one in existence, not really ,but hmm...

3. I had one for awhile. Sounded fine, but I sold it cause I had too many amps. I've seen the guy who bought it on TB before but I don't recall any of the details.

4. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    I had one for a short while. Sounded good, solid amp, underrated like most Genz Benz stuff. If the price was good, I wouldn't be afraid to buy another.

5. akimbo

akimbo

Nov 5, 2004
    cool,thanks.

6. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    I had one. ;)

7. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Just got one from Daddy's Junky Music in Massachusetts a few months ago. I got it for the same price I'd pay for an ampeg B2R and when I compared them side by side the Genz blew the Ampeg out of the water. I bought it for $400 which I thought was a pretty good deal. Apparantly they are more highly priced in the west where there is a bigger demand for them.

I'm playing a Fender Precision Lyte through it and it's going into a SWR Goliath II. I'm very happy with the sound of the setup. I like to run a Boss Bass Limiter Enhancer from my instrument to avoid clipping and make slapping less dynamically out of range.

The output of the amp is intense. The SWR cab was originally wired to 8 ohms and I found I was clipping at too low of volume levels. I rewired the cab to 2 ohms and this thing just pounds. The output of the Fender coupled with the extremely high workload of the amp makes clipping start at around 1/2 on the master volume with the pre amps cranked. I'd hate to take this thing to a communal jam night and have some dope plug in and crank the thing to blow the cab.

The tube and solid state pre amp is a nice feature. I crank the tube pre and leave the solid state at around half. There are two tube effects called saturation and harmonics which really dirty up the tube sound.

See the attachment for a pic of the setup.

Cheers.

Attached Files: