Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genz-Benz GBE 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkster, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hi all, I'm reading the review of the new GBE600 in bassplayer,
    I'm very interested!
    Anyone use GB stuff and tell me a little about what ya think of thier stuff, I'm a Eden user but I'm thinking of switching gears again, I can get a great deal on one of theses at Basspalace.
    Thank you in advance for your input!

2. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Hey Henry. I have a Series II head. It is my first bass amp so I cannot compare it to other stuff. Construction wise it is very sturdy. My choices at the time I was buying were the GB or an Ampeg B-2 (whatever the lower end Ampeg model was) I went with the Genz Benz because the build quality felt much much better. The EQ on mine is limited but in the model you are looking at I think you would have more at your disposal. (I really beefed up my sound when I got a Sansamp DI) The company is good to work with. I broke a pot once and they sent a new one out to me for free. They are family run out of Arizona and the prices are good for USA made stuff. I had a Tubeworks guitar combo that I loved and Tubeworks and Genz Benz merged a couple of years ago. Very dependable so far. The fan is a little noisy. I like clipping indicator and mute swith. They are kind of a quiet company out there making quality stuff for the money.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got three Genz Benz cabs that I feel very good about and I pretty intrigued by that head also. I'm doing the separates thing now and I wish that they made a preamp. I've never had any experiences with any of their amps. I do plan to get a few more of their cabs. Craigb uses Genz Benz if I'm not mistaken. Shoot him a PM.

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i played the very one you might buy and it is incredible. GB stuff goes from hi-fi to down and dirty! best of both worlds! very flexible head...

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Thanks Guy's!
    I'm very interested in the GBE 600, and just about never hear anybody around here talk about GB.
    I'm going to take a roadtrip down to Basspalacenext month, Bob say's he'll have one for me to try out. Ooooo I can't wait.

Max sounds like you made the right choice! I had a Ampeg B2 and did'nt like it at all.
    I'm thinking of a GB 600 into Two Aggie GS210's would make a fine rig!

6. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I have 2 GB combos. Both 1x12s. One is the older model ML-112T(135W, 1x12+tweeter, simple 3-band EQ) and the other is the new ML200-112T (200W, 1x12+tweeter, 3 band eq plus shape switches).

The older one has served me well for a number of years - it can handle house parties and stage monitor duty on its own. The amp section is basic but usable. I was happy enough with it to buy the newer one.

The newer one is just over a year old. I bought it so I can stack 'em up for more "ooomph". It has a more "hi-fi" sound than the older one. The added eq controls (the shape buttons) add some colors to the tones it can produce.

The only issue I have with them is when we tried to use the DI out from the newer one (so I could avoid having my DI box on stage - just trying to simplify) it was too noisy for use through the PA. Just something you might want to check out if it matters to you.

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    By markv on the Low Down Lowdown:
    Here's the thread...

http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=002116;p=1