Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genz Benz GBE 750 users...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Genz Benz GBE 750 users...
    Speak out! How clean is clean? How powerful is this thing? Is the tube drive useful in terms of adding some fat and character, or is it grit,grind and fuzz?
    Gimme details man!

*edit*...ordered it today, report back soon...

chef

2. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The GBE750 just starts/started shipping in February.

I've got a GBE600. Is that close enough?

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    They appear to be pretty similar...
    I'm always looking for new gear. I'm pretty well locked on my TFB420. Clean, fast and punchy, does Double Bass very well, biiig powerful eq, and the timbre and enhance functions are wonderful. It also does a very fair DB750 imitation, and when you crank it up, it just gets bigger and fuller, not gritty...It's definately my go to head. I have an eden wt800B I like pretty well.
    I've been messing with a bbe bmax/qsc-plx 1202 setup. It's ok, but it's not for me.
    The GB GBE Series look very interesting to me...

4. I tried out the 600, which seemed pretty sterile, until I started playing with the tube drive a bit... it definitely adds PHat and a bit of grit/mild overdrive if you push it hard. I was actually quite surprised by the performance of this amp, if I was in the market, I would definitely consider...

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Well, I sold some stuff, and ordered the gbe750 today. Hopefully I'll have it in a week or so, and have something concrete to report back shortly after that. I usually have 2 jobs a week, some on DB, some on slab, some jobs where I play both. Testing will be thru a schroeder 1210. I spent awhile on the phone with Jeff at genz. He was really nice to take time out to talk to me, listened attnetively to what I was going for, and was very reassuring that the gbe750 would git her done.

You'll all get the skinny as soon as I do...

chef

6. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I love my GBE600. Clean, fast, and punch, with a great EQ are characteristics of this amp. I've played Edens as well, and like them a lot. But I like my Genz-Benz more.

Jeff's been nothing but great in my experience as well. I contacted him because one of the speakers in my cab went bad and he was most helpful - I got a new one shipped out, no questions asked (besides a name and address). :bassist:

I'm looking forward to hearing your experiences.

7. Did you check out the neo 3-5 in your conversations with Jeff?

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I looked real hard at the 600. The thing that skewed me to the 750 was that the 600 "only" makes 600 watts at 2 ohms, a load I'm not likely to have much.
    I also looked real hard at the gbe1200, but I really don't need that kinda power, and I didn't want the additional 1RU, and additional weight.
    I also looked real hard at the Carvin B1500...Smash' review of it are very favorable...but again, 3RU...
    The 750 makes 675 at 4 ohms, which is where I'll be most of the time. 2RU chassis, plenty of tone shaping...I don't know how much I'll need two channels...it'll be fun to mess with though:cool:

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Yessir, I did. He said Ron Carter really liked it...I do like the para eq on it, but, the 350 watt rating put it right with the TFB420 I already have.
    I really like the 420, and I'll be surprised if I like the gbe750 more. I wanted something with a great big power section to beef things up. Not that the 420 needs any of that. I also considered an aggie DB750, but I really don't want to carry that much weight, and I dunno if the eq section really lends itself to double bass very well.
    A big whompin power section can really add to low volume response, transient response, and let you take big advantage of "right hand finger dynamics." The GB seems to be designed to really do that well...

10. Chef

thanks for the info on the neo 3.5

I heard nothing but good things about the GB gear. Look forward to the review of the new amp

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Hey Roger;
    Thanks for both the reply here, and the pm. Marcus and Randy eh? That's heady company for me to keep;) I really don't feel like I need 1200 watts, and the lighter more compact 2RU of the 750 is appealing to me. AS I noted to you in my pm, the neopak 350 is probably a great amp for my needs, but it's very similar to my TFB420 in terms of specs. I'm *very* happy with the 420, and wnat to try something else. I'm hoping the adjustable mid scoop control on the 750, combined with the 5 section eq, will accomplish the same thing as the paramids on the neopak 350 in terms of helping quell potential DB feedback problems. The "timbre" function on the TFB does this quite well, especailly when combined with a little ~600-800hz paramid cut. The "mid mid" on the 750 is set at 500hz, and the "high mid" at 1250hz...so, hopefully these two combined with the mid scoop "will git her done"...:)
    Whatcha think about that theory?

thanks, chef

ps: I hope these are ready to ship...my bmax/qsc rig went out UPS this morning...

12. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    Hey Chef;
    thanks for your support. One thing- Marcus isn't playing our GBE1200 yet. It's his "amp guru" that heard it and brought one to him.

I think the mid scoop will help with any feedback and wolf tone issues.

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I'm hearing ~1-2 weeks til they're ready to ship...?

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    gbe750 in a box in the lobby at work this morning.
    I have gigs tonight, friday, saturday.
    Details in a new thread after Saturday.

:hyper:

15. Cool... the design and specs on that head are among the best I've ever seen.... huge power into 4ohms, two rack space, and fully mixable tube and SS pre... plus master variable voicing filters. Holy cow... I'm looking forward to your impressions of the amp.

:bassist:

16. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I will be trying a GBE1200 and a 212 neox sometimes next week. I can`t wait !!!

17. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    :bassist:

I'm confident that it will exceed your expectations, and I'm interested in hearing your review.

Enjoy the gigs.

18. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I'll be interested to hear your comparison between the GBE750 and the Eden WT800B!

19. Hey there hasbeen, is RJ using Genz Benz cabs as well? He had the finest tone I have ever heard from a Stingray 5 when I heard him on TV at the Grammy awards last month. Genz Benz gear is coming up big time. I recently tried a GBE 600 at Club Bass in Toronto and it was pure killin'. Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
    Bassjones
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=234528

20. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    thanks for the compliments. Yes, full GB rig. He was using the GBE1200 with two of our Neox-212T cabs. He's been a 10" cab user for years and has been looking for a 12" cab that he likes. He tried many but kept sending them back to the manufacturer. He heard ours and that nailed the tone that was in his head.

Side comment: 10's vs. 12's. Its funny- we had many top R&B and funk pros in our booth at NAMM. They all tried both speaker configurations. I was really watching with interest to see which they'd like better. It was a 50/50 split. And they weren't subtle about their choice either...it was "oh man, I like the 10's way ahead of the 12's...that's the tone in my head." Or it was the other way around. Just goes to show you....that's why there's chocolate and why there's vanilla.