Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genz Benz GBE1200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Dec 25, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
  2. It looks good but how is anyone suppossed to offer anything useful if nobody has one yet?

Genz Benz stuff is under-rated, IMO. The GBE hybrid heads are really nice. I dig the styling. BUt I don't like really busy preamps.

3. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    I have a GBE NEO 400 and as we used to say in the UK - it is "the bollox"!

A quick scan of the control panel on the 1200 reveals more or less the same layout but with a little more eq control on the individual channels.

The NEO combo is the same layout as the GBE 600 head (not the 400 head - strange huh?) and has 2 channels which can be switched or combined with an included footswitch. It is very loud and has turned into my main gigging rig, ousting my Sunn 300 and Eden WT 800 and assorted cabs.

I agree that GB stuff is very underrated and would expect the 1200 to be stellar.

Check out the 600 or the NEO 400 combo to get a taste of the pre that this new one (could be wrong!) is based on.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i havent seen the 1200 but have tried the 400 and 600. Like angelopb said, they are definitly under rated. If i had to get one i would probably go for the 600 because it can drive a 2 ohm load, giving you more versatility cabinet wise. They're really surprisingly good heads, and pretty darned cheap to boot.

5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    oh
    no.

And I just bought a 600.

Going to cry now.

6. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    !!! I'd never heard about this, and I'm a GB fanatic !!!

I've been using a GBE600 for a while, and it's the best sounding amp of all the ones I've owned or used over the years. Mine also has the optional 4-button footswitch but I don't know what it controls, because I just use the head as is - it's perfect.

Not only are they underrated, but they're very conservative on their power ratings. My GBE600, only rated for 425W @ 4 ohms, is easily louder than my SWR Mo'Bass was, which is supposed to be 900W bridged mono @ 4 ohms.

My 50W combo (Intro 50 w/ 12" speaker) was surprisingly powerful as well. It was a far better amp than the 140W Hartke 1415 combo I once had.

I think everything about Genz Benz is underrated. Their bass amps are, moreso than anything, but their bass cabs are awesome too IMO (http://users.1st.net/milk/GB_Rig.jpg). As far as guitar goes... you guys ever heard a G-Flex 2x12? Smokes any 4x12 I've ever heard! And the El Diablo guitar heads are outstanding. They also make one of the best acoustic amplifiers in the business (Shenendoah). One thing I'd like GB to do is make a Navigator-style pre-amp. That way people can decide for themselves how much power they need.

I got my GBE600 so cheap used that I might be interested in selling it and making the jump up to the 1200. I have no doubts that I'd never need another amp again. Ever. And that's a pretty big statement coming from a guy with as much GAS as I always have.

7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    My Genz Benz GBE series 1 210 combo has slightly over 100 watts for the amp that drives the 210s, and 35-45 (I forget exactly) for the tweeter (internally biamped). When I tried it out, I had everything in the store EXCEPT the combo rattling. My COMBO eats the Mo'Bass I used to have in terms of output. And tone. The 600 isn't here yet, but I've played the 400 and just about the whole line of combos, very impressive all of them especially for the price. Itching for a 610. Have to say also, the service is unbelievable. Answered my email concerning an out of production product, days before Christmas, almost instantly with clear answers and schematics. Great guys, great stuff, great prices.

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Any chance you would sell it to me?

9. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    If I sell it, you'll be the first guy I PM about it. :)

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Nah, I just talked myself into a deal for a Genz Benz 6x10 and GBE 600, but thanks anyways.

11. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Good job man. :) Let me know how you like it!

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Hey bro.....I just bought myself a GBE200 from Jorg Schroeder. It isn't here quite yet, but what can I expect?

-Mike

13. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Is it a GBE200 or an ML200?

If it's an M Line, they don't have the tube pre-amp, but they still sound good. Like I said, the Intro 50 combo I had was the best sounding small combo I've heard, and it had the solid state pre-amp. The dual output switch is a nice touch too. How much did you pay for it?

If it's not the ML200, I've not heard of the GBE200. Is it just a lower wattage version of the 400 or 600? If so, you can rest assured that you'll be very impressed with the tone. I play with the EQ on my 600 basically flat because it sounds so good. As I've mentioned before, I've used a lot of amps, and this one is the most impressive amp I've ever used.

I got a GREAT deal on my 600, but I would've paid a lot more for it. :)

I'd be interested in a 200 for a practice amp if I could get one cheap enough.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It is a GBE200. Not many were made by GB, and they have since stopped making them. Jorg sent me pictures, it is a GBE200.

I paid $250 for it.

Yes, it has lower ratings than it's big brothers. 160 at 8ohms, 200 at 4ohms.

Thank you for the assurances on the quality. I am excited about getting it. I'll let you know if I get to a point where I need to let the GB go.

-Mike

15. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Coincidentally, I just saw his old ad on either harmony central or bassgear. $250 doesn't sound bad. For the quality of the piece, it's a great price. I only paid $325 for my GBE600!

16. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
  17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  18. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Wow. Perfect timing. Just a minute or so ago, I decided I'm going to pull the trigger on this.

~Patrick

19. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

SMASH,

Good points and very well said. :^>) It's well known that I've been a Sunn FANATIC for years, but my Sunn 1200 will be going on the block and a GB 1200 will be headed my way ASAP. Why? I'll let you know in detail when it gets here. :hyper:

Important Note. My Sunn 300T will ALWAYS be in my arsenal.........but I can't resist that "New Kid on the Block" from Genz Benz. :)

20. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I'm going to forget about the Mesa 750 and the Ashdown Mag600 and the SVT6-PRO. After reading the poop on the Genz Benz I think maybe I need one of these. That reactive speaker load thing sure sounds impressive. I tried out an SVT3-PRO at GC and it was farting all over the place. Maybe it just couldn't handle the reactive speaker loads of the Mesa speaker cabs. If Genz Benz makes a tolex covered head case for this amp, it's a done deal for me. :hyper: