Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genz-Benz GBE400 sound clips

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, Jan 16, 2006.

1. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I've had this thing for a couple weeks now and just got the xlr cable for the direct recording tonight, so i messed around a bit. I tried flipping the ground switch and there's still some hum, but its not too bad. Here she is:

www.purevolume.com/jesseh

the first one should be familiar :cool:

the second one is just a slap groove i came up with

2. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    Sounds nice!:)

3. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    :bag: bump?:bag:

4. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Alright!
    What cab did you buy/use with this head.
    I just bought a GBE400 for myself and bought the genz 2x12 neo-x cab.
    Really happy with it.

5. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Yeah, i tried the genz benz 410T cab or whatever that one is called. I liked the sound, but it was used and had some mud splattered on the speaker cones. So, I tried out a Warwick 410 Pro cab which I liked the sound of a lot more. So I picked that up for $300. I've heard those 212 neos are great though. Maybe i'll consider it for a 2nd cab!

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    That amount of hum/buzz is unacceptable coming from an amp's DI. It should be noiseless, or at least close to it. Did you sit close to a (turned on) CRT monitor while recording? Or did you boost the volume a lot in software?

7. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia

It could be coming from the soundcard too. :bag:

8. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Yeah, its prolly something like that... I did have to use the "normalize" function to make the track audible at all... My sound card is also quite terrible.. :meh:

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Oh, so no preamp between the bass amp and sound card? No wonder it hums. You'd be better off by using the line out jack on the amp - the signal will be much hotter and with significantly less noise.

10. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    oh, so thats the problem. Alright, I don't have a preamp, so...:meh:

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You do. In your bass amp. ;-) Use the line out jack (if you got one) on the amp and run it into the sound card. Watch the input level though. Don't let it clip or you'll get even nastier sounds than a little background hum.

12. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    No, i don't have a line out jack, but the record out has a post/pre switch and a ground/lift switch. it also has a volume knob.

13. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
  14. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    yeah, when i say "recording output" i mean "direct out". I guess i forgot what it was called. I mean, i don't have a line out, like a 1/4" output.

15. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I've used the Effects Send with mine. I run bass->GBE600->1/4" to 1/8" converter->soundcard input.It gets noisy, though.

But I'm sure it's my crappy soundcard because the D.I. in the studio was great!

N iceplaying and great sound, by the way! :bassist:

16. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Thanks for the advice and comments! :cool: