1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz Benz / GK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Apr 1, 2006.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Hey guys I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the above companies.

I've just started to get real serious with my band, and were starting to do some of the main stream rock stuff, offspring, green day, blink 182 ect.

I also play at my church every sunday, so something that could do the gospel stuff would rock too (epifani comes to mind?)

I mainly play with my fingers as apposed to a pick. So I would enjoy somthing that can get over on top of the guitars and cut through. I play a 4 string P and a 5 string with 2 soapbar pups.

I did a quick search on GB and found that they have alot of cool stuff, ultimatley I'am looking for an all around rig. 1500$ Max. The GBE 1200 caught my eye it has enough goodies on it to keep me busy, and the dual preamp will allow me to have loads of tonal options. But the 1300$ price tag makes me wonder if a pre+power amp rig would be better?

I did ALOT of research on GK, I was sold on getting a 800rb, but the fact that I can get a 1001rb-II for the same price changed my outlook on that story. I know GK's known for their outstanding repuation and customer support as well as being stable and reliable. I also played a 1001rb-II with a sbx 410+115 and it sounded really good, but it was missing something. Maybe a neo 212 would work better?

But thats my perdicament.

Rob

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The 1001rb-II gets my vote, in fact I plan on buying one this summer. I plan on using it with a neo212 , which i hear is THE combination to get.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I can't say anything about Genz Benz, good or bad because frankly I've never even seen any of it in person.

But I will tell you that I've been abusing GK gear for four years, the same head, and cabinets have been thrown around, and still perform every night I need them too.

I use a 400RB-III and old school RBS series cabinets (predecessor to SBX cabinets, same thing, slightly lower power handling and no horns) and they've taken a beating and still sound wonderful every time I plug them in.

Had an 800RB for a little while, one of the older versions with the sought after horizontal power switch, and sold it because I love the tone shaping of the 400RB-III better, which is very similar to the 1001RB-II preamp.

Between the 1001RB-II and 800RB, there are a few things to consider:
    - 1001RB is much more powerful.
    - 1001RB uses GK's Horn Management System, which IMO is much easier and more efficient than the 800RB's more "primitive" system
    - 800RB is more of the classic GK sound you've heard from the likes of Guns n' Roses type, whereas the 1001RB-II can get a more modern sound a la Flea and numerous others.

4. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours Supporting Member

Both great bass amp companies but the phrase "Gotta Getta' Genz" seems to be gaining steam all over the place. Find a dealer and give 'em both a run. Let us know what you think.

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Another vote for the Genz. I've never warmed up to GK.

6. The Genz Benz gear I've tried has been amazing, very versatile. Having said that Gk sounds great as well but I would go for the GB.

7. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    No love lost on my side with the Genz Benz range. Did not like the tone I got out of it.

But am seriously considering an Eden WT550 and ultimately their Navigator Pre-Amp, Just love the tone out of their stuff.

8. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Don't forget about the Genz GBE 750.

http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=1994&sid=422&cid=95

Genz rates their power very conservatively, I have the GBE 400 running thru a neo 2X12 ( Genz) cab @ 4 ohms making 350 watts. It is LOUD! and without getting technical sounds terrific. Ask anyone who HAS one of the GBE series heads/cabs and they will agree.

9. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I've only played GKs in the stores, and I like them.

But I bought a Genz Benz GBE600 recently and couldn't be happier. It has a tube and solid state channel that you can mix, and on the fly eq changes. I have it going into a Dr. Bass 212 right now, and this this thing really cranks at 425 watts (625 @ 2 ohm).

If the GBE1200 is too expensize, look at the GBE750 -- basically the same thing but at 750 watts instead of 1200, which is closer to the GK 1001. And closer to the price, but the GBE is a bit more. The nice thing about the 750 and the 1200 is that you have separate EQ controls for both channels (my 600 does not). These amps can take an 8, 4, or 2ohm load.

And customer service has been exceptional. As a matter of fact, there are a couple of GB product manager/engineer types on Talkbass that have a lot of good insight.

Not knocking the GK at all -- great amps -- but try out a Genz.

edit - opps, Peter beat me to the punch on the GBE750!