1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz Guys - is this the future Shuttle format?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveC, Mar 10, 2009.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    No, this is exclusive to the Shenandoah acoustic amp line.

Upgrade away.

3. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    It's kinda cool. Guitarists get all the good stuff... Heh. ;)

4. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    having the higher wattage bass head more exposed, helps in the cooling effort.

5. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    A shuttle with one 8" speaker...and a 2x8 cab? those cones would be driven hard.

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    A shuttle with dual inputs and channel direct outs would be cool!

keep the mocha color btw...

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    In case you guys didn't catch it, those are small guitar amps, not bass amps.

8. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I caught it, I just thought the format was cool.

9. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Speaking to the last part of your first post....don't wait! I am absolutely in love with my 6.0. The coolest amp I've seen in years. Had a great R&B hit last night - used my Epifani UL410 with this head for the first time - and it sounded great. Afterward everyone was gawking at the size and just laughing at how light it is. I'm just amazed that something this small puts out so much mojo.

10. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I am close to pulling the trigger on the 6.0/210 combo. It is a little bigger than I need, but it's the most practical way to get the tube pre/DI that I'd like. It seems like bringing a separate DI with my amp to a gig is kind of dumb - especially since the GB DI is so nice, and really, the gigs I have and PA's I use wouldn't really let a DI like an Avalon or REDDI shine anyway.

11. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    +1 for the Shuttle 6.0 into an Epi UL-410. The tight lows and bright mids of the Shuttle sound great with the UL-410 big low end and even mids. Very nicely voiced punchy and phat sound. The Epi high end is also sweet with that slightly overdriven tube pre. :hyper:

12. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hey, Roger or Andy:

Has anyone tried any of the acoustic guitar amps with upright bass? Or would the frequency range involved destroy them? The feature set is right up a double bassist's alley ...

Cheers,
    Liam

13. dbassman59

dbassman59

Dec 19, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I have had my Shuttle 6.0-12T for a while now ... I LOVE it the more I play it. It is so versatile and so easy to dial in an appropriate sound ... The fact that the amp is mounted on top and in the middle of the cab really protects the knobs during transport and I transport mine around a lot.

So much thought was put into this little combination. Here's a list of my favorites ...

a) the built-in kickstand for tilting it back ... very handy

b) the tuner out (I have a Korg tuner on a short cord permanently attached)

c) the mute button ... awesome for the tuner and awesome for hooking up and disconnecting my wireless ... just plain fantastic

d)Light weight ... I'll pick it up and reposition it during a gig to better hear myself

e) The tube pre-amp gain and volume ... I find this very useful in dialing in the warm sound I like so much ... a clever combination

f) the very simple EQ system

g) the signal shape pre-sets ... very easy to quickly enhance a song when called for ....

h) It's power .. it is so easy to add on too (in terms of cabs) if required... I haven't done this yet, but I like knowing that I easily can.

The tilt back is awesome. I can hear my bass over the other instruments at same time without overpowering the overall sound of the band.

Keep in mind when we gig out, I DI to our PA system and let the bass get balanced in the overall mix.

There is tons of power. I can see myself keeping this thing for years.

14. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    When do we get the 212 combo we've all been dying for? The 210 is nice, but how many gigs can really be covered by a solo 210 without a lot of house support?

I've been saying this for over a decade: The first company to offer a truly good sounding, truly lightweight, 8ohm 212 combo, wins the game.

That means the combo as is would be a shuttle 6 putting it's 8ohm max into a nice 4-600 watt 212, and then for more beef all you do is add another 8 ohm cab to open it up down to 4ohms. Even going by current weight listings, that should be easily doable under 65lbs. Load that sucker with a luggage rack like the ampeg portaflex series and you have a SERIOUSLY utile combo, possibly the single most versatile rig ever made.

Simplicity and bang for pound incarnate, WHY isn't anyone doing this yet? OR if the 212 is still too much of a niche market, why not at least a 310 combo?

And while I know you wonderful brains at GB might still be reading this thread, why isn't there a second instrument input on the shuttle 12? To have all that variation available, including 2 discreet pre-amps, but still be forced to use an A/B box for a second bass seems a glaring oversight from where I sit.

15. VroomVroom

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Alright, Steve....let's try to get you closer. :D

Here's my Roscoe 6 running through the 6.0-12T combo @ a trio gig last weekend:

Stolen Moments (warning...bass solo content)

Well You Needn't

So What

...and my MTD 6 from last night. Shuttle 6.0 into the Epi UL410:

In These Shoes

Midnight Hour

I am just loving this little amp!

16. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have two basses for sale in the classifieds as of anhour ago. My 3.0 will be next.

17. moonbass

moonbass

Aug 10, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    OK i expect some heat from this post but....I needed a light weight amp to deal with transportation and NYC subways. Mostly jazz type gigs in small places, low volume. After reading the comments on TB and without having a chance to check one out i bought a 3.0 shuttle with the 10 inch speaker. To me there was a vast difference between what people were posting on TB and the actual sound i was getting from the amp. The sound was and is harsh with no bottom. The only time it sounded half OK was at very low volume like in an acoustic set and even then there was no bottom.
    Could it be "gasp" that some of the glowing posts on TB about GB could be plants or players given deep discounts or freebees to post such praise? I don't want to be overly cynical about this but it does come to mind when i hear the tone produced by this amp and i read the praise for it on TB. There's some kind of disconnect going on. I will say the customer service at GB is very good.
    www.myspace.com/tomblattproject

18. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    How did you set the amp? Some find it lacking on the bottom if set with all eq points at noon. I gigged with the 3.0-10t combo plus the 10t extension quite a bit, and my experience was completely different than yours. I did indeed eventually become an endorser, AFTER buying this rig with no discount (other than the typical dealer discount off of msrp). Not an endorser anymore, as you can tell from my blank endorsement area, but my opinion of this rig still stands.

But ... maybe instead of some vast conspiracy fraught with dishonest shills, maybe it's just that not everyone's ears are the same? What works perfectly for me (and obviously many others) might sound awful for you. Or it could be that you never found settings on the head that allowed it to really open up. Or you could have gotten a lemon ... it happens.

Or those of us who love that rig could just be a bunch of lying, unethical shills. Who knows? I know that I'm not, but I certainly can't prove that to you.

Best Wishes,
    Liam

19. VroomVroom

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Moonbass, I can tell you that the Shuttle 3.0 does nothing for me. The 6.0 is, to my ears, an entirely different animal. I credit the tube pre-amp...mostly because aside from max output, it's the only spec difference I could see. Sounds like you and I do similar gigs...or at least have some of the same goals in mind for a small amp. Obviously there are too many other variables which prevent a direct link, but the 6.0 might be worth considering.

And, not to sound too cynical...or to be a jerk, but.... I can see someone in Butte Point, Antarctica selecting such an amp without trying it first, but a cat in Brooklyn? I've got to think a subway ride to a music store and a two-minute test drive would've given you all the information you needed. Over the years I've learned that the only ears & reviews I can trust are my own. I think that may be where your disconnect lies in this case. IMO & no disrespect intended.

20. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Well, game over then:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7069730&#post7069730

Umm, game over again?
    http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=3&vedi=38

Although, I have no idea if the Markbass 310 combo is actually available in the US.

Anyway, just thought I'd share the links! ;)

Cheers,
    Liam