Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genz Benz Head: Mysteriously Shut Itself Down

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nerdcore, Apr 20, 2004.

1. nerdcore

nerdcore

May 12, 2002
    I apologize for the vagueness of this post but this has only happened once or twice in the past week. I have an old GBE Series 2 running into a 2x10 and 1x15 (both Genz Benz) and I was wondering if any of you knew what could cause the amplifier to shut itself down without warning. I played for 2 minutes and the thing just shut down, all lights off, no temp warning, nothing. I wiggled the power socket in the rear power cord receptacle (which has a little bit of free play) and the amp came back on for a second then shut off again. I turned the switch off and on and it would stay on for 10 seconds. Then, I pulled the fuse, saw it was intact, and reinserted it firmly. Since then it hasn’t shut off again (even if I wiggle the power cord) but I’m worried since it was so mysterious.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Try cleaning the contacts on the power cord, the contacts in the fuse holder. You can get contact cleaner at Radio Shack.

If you're really paranoid, have a tech resolder all the connections in that area (power cord receptacle, fuse holder, power switch, etc.)...if you are experienced with electronic repairs you could do this yourself.

3. nerdcore

nerdcore

May 12, 2002
    I'll do that. Also do you think that driving it too hard would cause it to shut itself down without a temp warning?