Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genz-Benz head, solid state + tube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brock29609, Aug 22, 2004.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I can’t recommend the Genz-Benz GBE-600 enough. More so then any piece of gear I’ve ever owned. It’s by far the most versatile thing I’ve ever laid my hands on. The tube preamp is warm and “tubey”, and sounds better and better the more you overdrive it. The second FET preamp has a typical solid state tone, which by itself is not my preference. But, mix a subtle amount of FET preamp with some pissed off overdriven tube-goodness and WOW! Nasty warm tube overdrive with punch and clarity. You can get both ends of the spectrum with this thing. I have to think it has a setting to please anyone. The 5-band preamp lets me tweak the tone at all the right spots. Great sounding low mids. It’s a LOUD 400W (at 4 ohms). Handles 600W at 2 ohms. I can’t see how anyone could be dissatisfied with this thing. It’s earned a number one spot on my cabs over many other expensive heads.

Anyone else have comments on these?

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Glad to hear you liked it. I sorta miss mine, but then, I turn on my GK 1001RB-II and remember that this fits me better.