1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

genz benz live series 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by narcopolo, Apr 24, 2009.

1. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i'm thinking very hard about grabbing one on a clearance sale. it's going for 199, so the price is great. i've had a hard time finding reviews. does anybody have any cautions or even positive experiences?

2. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    I gigged one for a couple of years with a GBE 400. It was Genz's "budget" 410 cab, but it was the best budget cab I tried and did the job well - I carried 300 person venues with it. It wasn't rumbling the roof off, but it worked. The cab is rated at 400W IIRC, but it definitely likes a little bit of power. IMO $199 is a great deal if you're looking for a solid, fairly light, evenly-voiced cab.

If you check out our MySpace (www.myspace.com/schemata), the songs Rest When I'm Dead and Blind Servant were recorded using that cab paired with either an Ampeg SVT2 or 4 Pro... can't remember which.

3. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    So, who is clearing these out?

4. Yes, who is clearing these out????!

I have an old GB 1x12 cab and the "new" live series 1x12 cab looks to have the same footprint. (wait, why am I buying more cabs? ugh - nevermind - don't tell me where these are!)

If I recall, I think I read somewhere that the LS cabs were made out of mdf - very heavy, and not very durable. I could be wrong though.

5. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    it's the "richmond music and arts center." it used to be a boykins'. they are mostly a woodwinds store, so it was really weird that they had a genz benz cab. it was actually the only cab in the store, and they only had one head (a peavey). the only basses they had were squiers and soundgears. anyway, i gigged with it and was pleased to find that it blew my 210 out of the water. not just with low end and volume, but i also felt that my notes were very clear and articulate. i was nervous about replacing the 210, but now i'm excited to finally have my "show volume" tone sound like my "practice volume" tone.

6. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    the 410 is definitely MORE than twice as heavy as my 210.

7. brandtb

brandtb

Aug 27, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I just bought an LS-410T locally and used it for the first time last night with the band. I didn't get quite the deal that you have in front of you, but let's just say I'm pretty pleased with the price that I paid.

Some of this is copied from a recent post I made on the GB owners thread, so bear with me if this is repetitive.

The LS-410T cab: It sounded nice on the showroom floor, but I really wanted to see how it would mix with the band. On paper, the low-end frequency response appeared to be lacking, but in practice I found that to not really be an issue. I've always liked a good deep thump, and this cab isn't the thumpiest -- but the gain you get in low-mids and clarity in general more than made up for it. I've had single-speaker combos in the past, mostly with single 15's -- and most recently the Shuttle 3.0-10T with a Aguilar GS112. None of those could move air like these four ten-inchers.

For the first time ever, I could hear myself clearly anywhere in the practice space without having to seriously crank the volume or search for spaces with parametric EQ. It wasn't a matter of overpowering the guitar and drums (though I could easily do that), but just being able to move that volume of air with the crisp response of the 4x10 and tweeter.

I couldn't begin to describe the physics of it -- the best description I can think of is "more tone, but not necessarily more volume". It was just plain BIG!

In general, I would say that the LS410-T favors an "old school" sound, but can easily be tweaked to produce more modern tones. In the context of our band, I don't need thunderous mega-lows or super-glassy highs -- but this amp and cab together allows me to get more than close enough for my needs. YMMV.

Note that I have this paired with a Genz Benz ShuttleMax 6.0. It is a KILLER combination.

Best of luck to you! Jump on this deal if you haven't already.