Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genz Benz Neo 212: RWE?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jobu3, Sep 6, 2004.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Anybody have any real world experience with this cabinet? Not much info from the search feature... I'm going to try one out locally tomorrow if it is still in stock. But in the meantime, anybody use one with a B-string? I'm gassing for an Epifani 212 in the older style with the side by side set up and a Bergantino 322. I had an Epi 112 which I liked but it wasn't enough with the setup I ran it with at the time. A GB Neo 212 can easily make the list though...

I have an Epi 310 which I consider to have "my" tone but I am kind of missing the rounder bottom of 12's too. I had an older Genz XB-410 which I thought was a really fantastic sounding cab, it was just a major pain to haul around because of its size. Edit: I know the 322 is also large and heavy but I have an SUV nw and not my old car.

Tonal differences aside here's what I find to be +/-'s of each cab:
    GB 212: Although it's not enough to go by alone, the specs seem slightly less than the others. Like the footprint and the weight a lot. Seems the most portable. Price is nice (new).
    322: Fullrange cab, best of both worlds with 10's and 12's. Large and heavy and expensive. Hard to find used.
    Epi 212: Like the footprint and I am more familiar with the tone. Weight isn't too bad. Have to find one in good condition/discontinued.

Any help or info is appreciated! :cool: :bassist:

2. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    I just bought one. I play a five, and powerful low bass is important to me. I tried the Aguilar 212 and was not at all satisfied with its low. Schroeder had a very nice smooth tone in the 1212, but again not the wall-shaking low end. The Genz-Benz has the low end capability, yet seems to me to have an uncolored tone; it seems very smooth throughout the frequency spectrum. The weight is reasonable, the tilt-back wheel system works well, and it appears very solid. I have one side of a Crest Pro 8200 going into it---1400+ watts into four ohms---and it sounds great and very loud. I had been using Eden CX212's, which will also loosen your fiilings on the low end; but the Edens have a nonadjustable coaxial tweeter, and aren't as smooth and tight as the Genz-Benz.
    The bottom line is that if you want great low end and a well-balanced speaker that accepts EQ well, you will like the Genz-Benz.

3. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Very cool! Thanks for the review. I prefer my cabs to sound cleaner too... I like color, just not so much of it that you can't get away from it. So I'll try it out tomorrow with whatever heads the shop has and we'll see how it pans out. If I like it, I'll bring my rack and bass in and a handful of cash. Unless of course one of my other G.A.S. list cabs turns up in the mean time. :smug: :cool:

4. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Just played it at the afforementioned shop. I played it with a GBE 600 and HOLY SMOKES what a tone!!! :eek: It was deep as all-get-out but tighter than most twelve setups I've played which could possibly be attributed to the added "midrangey" punch of the neo's. Anyways, I'm going back tomorrow or Thursday evening to give it a test run with my rack and bass. I also plan on trying out a pair of Aggie GS-112's. I wasn't a big fan of the single one I had previously but two as they say is a whole other world of tone. We shall know more by the weekend... ;)

5. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Ive thought the GB cabs were nice. The cab I liked the most from them was the 212 neo. JMO to my ears it wasnt up to par with the epi or berg but neither is the price. I think more people should look at GB.

On a side note, funny you mentioned the berg 322 and epi (older) 212. I just paired them up together for the first time and :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: . For me, so far, this is a perfect match. I love the 322 (still my fav cab) and I think my second fav is the epi 212. This combo has the best of everything that Ive played so far. For the last week Ive compared stacks of two 322 cabs, epi 410's, 410/212, berg nv610/212, 610/410, 610/212. The berg 322/epi 212 is unreal! I'll try it out on a gig this weekend but sofar the bottom is massive, the mids cut to bleed and the highs clean, crisp and clear without clank.

6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I'm certainly going to give it another test run to see if I can free up some money but I think that in the end, I'm probably going to stick with Epi's of some conglomeration. For the $600 (new!) they were asking on the Neo 212 it was unbelievably good though... It had some serious tone! Much better than anything else in that price-range IMO and that's before I picked it up! I've said it ever since I had my XB-410, more people should be looking into Genz Benz!

Should I decide to get it in the end, I'll actually pop on over to the Bass Palace to order. The shop I tried it at has less than desirable customer service and I'd rather not give them my business but I will make the most of the situation and play a bit... :spit: We shall see. ;) :D

7. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    agreed.

8. So, what happened? I have a pair of Aggie gs112s and I'm thinking about going with the GB NeoX 212t. I LOVE the cab design and it seems like it'd smoke!!!

9. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I ended up going with EA CXL-112's for more portability. The NEO-212 ended up going on layaway before I got to try it out with my rack. I would have loved to hear how it fared with more wattage but them's is the breaks.

BTW, the GS-112 is just not my cup of brewed leaves. I think it lacks definition and oomph, IMO. I owned one and sold it quickly. I gave the benefit of the doubt and tried two with extra power: Better, but still not what I was looking for in a pair of 112's. They didn't handle the B string as well as I'd like either.

Some people swear by a pair of GS112's as a godsend in tone... If you ask me, the GB NeoX 212 blows the Aggie mini-stack out of the water in just about every aspect. I still wish I could have tried it with more juice. :meh: Try for yourself though... You may be a believer. ;)

10. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I'm on this 12" kick pretty heavy myself. I'm hoping to put together a 3x12 stack with a Genz NeoX 212 on the bottom and a NeoX 112 on top. Should project well, hit me in my dense head straight on and couple all the 12's nicely.

I tried the NeoX 112 against a Ampeg portabass 112, GS112 and the Eden 112 and I thought it beat them all and was much less money. The low end on even the 112 was fantastic. GS112's are just too scooped for me but that could be my perception. They are great cabs but not my sound.

Genzler's cabs should be looked at more closely. I agree !!

11. Too bad they don't make a 4 ohm single 12... That'd be a sweet rig! I don't like running my amps at odd ohmages.

12. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Agree here. I'll have to run a separate power amp or a stereo head to get this to work right. One side 4 ohms, the other 8.

13. Well, I picked up a NeoX 212T and let's just say, I'm VERY happy!!!

Like what was said previously, the cab is very uncolored, tight and has a better low B than my 2 GS112s. It's also considerably louder (probably because of the midrange that the GS112s lack).

The only drawback to the cab is the tiltback caster system. I'm 6'3" and have to bend over to grab the cab. So, in order for me to use the casters, I have to walk hunched over... I'm going to create a strap system which will allow me to pull the cab while walking in a comfortable position.

14. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    In regard to Epifani vs. G-B, I AB'ed an Epifani T212D beside the G-B, and the G-B was louder, clearer, and had more low end. The more I play through this cab, the more I like it; I can't wait to get my hands on my second one. I had 1400 watts available to each, so there was no clipping; the G-B is a truly awesome speaker, and an incredible bargain. But they are in short supply. :hyper: :bassist: :)