1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz Neo Pak Clip light

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by topper, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Hey all,

Got a question about the "Clip-Limit" light on the front of my Genz Benz Neo Pak 3.5.

The light comes on occasionally when I'm playing and I'm just worried I'm pushing it too hard or something.

Usually I run the tube preamp gain up to about where the red light glows slightly when I'm playing my hardest.

I set the preamp volume to about 3 or 4 on the dial and the Master Volume is also set to about 3 or 4 on the dial. This would correspond to about the 9 or 10 o'clock position on the face of a clock.

My eq section has a couple fqs boosted, but only slightly, and most are flat or cut.

All in all it seems like they are set pretty low. Should I be concerned at all that the master clip-limit light is coming on?

2. I used to have a NEOPAK3.5...IIRC it's okay for the clip light to blink....it actually blinks -1dB from the actual clip threshold...so technically you're not even clipping. Or something like that. The problem is if your clip light stays on continuously. That's bad. So IIRC, blink=ok, solid=bad.

Also, let your ears be the judge. If it's distorting or farting out, then obviously you're clipping. If it still sounds nice and clean, then you're ok.

Might do a search. I had this same question when I had mine and got info straight from the horse's mouth (pun intended). There are 2 GB employees that are members here. One, who's tag is AgedHorse.

3. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    If it's the master clip light you're talking about (which I believe you are), it actually flashes with 6 db of headroom left, which is a long way to go before actually reaching power amp clipping. As long as it's not on all the time, you're good to go.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    If you are talking about the master CLIP/LIMIT LED, it flashes when you approach 2dB before clipping, and the tube output emulation limiter maps this 2dB into 6dB of preamp level. It's similar in concept to (though not exactly the same as) the gain reduction function of a compressor set to 3:1 ratio (same as 6:2). When you cross the threshold, 6dB of input increase gets translated to 2dB of output increase. Once you exceed 6dB of additional input, the power amp begins to clip.

5. Thanks that helps a lot!