Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genz Benz Neox 2x12 - any problems?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tony G, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I have had the Genz Benz Neox 2x12 now for a few months, and right away I noticed that the bottom speaker was a little muddier than the top. It was replaced at no charge under warranty as the shop I bought it from diagnosed it as a bad speaker. Now, a couple of months later, I'm noticing the top speaker being a little distorted, and I don't think the tweeter is working at all. I've only gigged twice with it, but I rehearse with the band about one to two times a week.

Does anyone else own one of these and have any problems with it? I power it with a SWR WorkingPro 700 head. This cab sounds great when it is working, but starts to sound very muddy when something isn't right.

2. Had mine a few months too. No problems yet. Its a pain but maybe you should have them replace the other speaker and horn as well. Personally, I roll the horn off unless I don't fell like I'm cutting the mix. Overall mines bright and punchy. I wouldn't give up on it yet.
    GOOD LUCK!

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Thanks for the advice. I brought it back to the shop last night, and they should take care of me. I've been shopping there for 10+ years, and they have always been good to me. My intention is for them to replace the speaker and horn, all under warranty I hope. It sounds silly, but I wonder if I just got a cab made with a bad batch of speakers. I am very picky about my sound, so I will sit in a sound deadend quite room and pick out every thing wrong with my sound. I notice these problems right away, and hopefully they can take care of it. I usually like a slighty brighter sound, but with a good bottom end. This cab does that for me excellently, but I'm wondering whats up with the quality of these things.

4. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio

I don't get it. Why the SWR icon with no SWR gear...at least in your profile?

5. I'm pretty picky too. I think that the speakers probably had the same lot #, that might explain it. At least GB has a good enough track record that you can seel it off if need be. How are you liking the SWR?

6. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've had my NeoX 212T for almost two years now with no troubles. I roll off the tweeter a lot going for that old school thing and power it with an Ampeg SVT3-Pro. I love it!

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

You didn't look very hard. My profile list of my equipment includes the SWR WorkingPro 700. Also, as for the icon, it's just something I picked quick, without much thought.

8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I love the SWR WorkingPro 700!!! I've been looking for a long time to find a head I really like, and this is it. Previous heads I've owned include the GK 800RB and the GK 1000RB to give you an idea of the sound I like.

9. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Hmm... I hear that a lot. I'm into a more modern deep but clean sound. Maybe I got the wrong cab for that sound.

10. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Yep, deep and clean is what I like, and this cab does it for me!

11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

It does it for me too, when its working. Hopefully they can just swap some parts for me under warranty and I'll be groovin again.:bassist:

12. Most cabs I've tried the tweeter usually ends up off or close to it. They always seem too hissy pissy unless I need to cut through.

13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I talked to the shop that I brought my cab into and they think it is just a loose speaker.... I don't know, something doesn't seem right about that.

14. I think I'd go beat on it in the shop for an hour or two, just to ensure this isn't intermittant. I guess I should ask, does it happen all the time?

15. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

lol yes, it does happen all the time. I just talked to the guys there again, and they are just waiting on a call back from Jeff Genzler. The guys at the shop definetly agree there is a problem with the cab, and are just waiting on word from him.

The loose speaker thing was just a quick idea of the head of the tech at the shop, but it appears that isn't the problem.

16. Have they cleares up the issue with the first speaker?

17. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

the first speaker problem I had was about 6 months ago. They agreed it was a bad speaker, and replaced. Only recently have I noticed that the other speaker is bad, and that the tweeter may not be working at all.

18. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Ok, it looks like genz benz wants the cab shipped to them so they can take care of it. I'm gonna be without a cab for a couple of weeks....

19. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    wow...three things:

* I'm very sorry about your trouble. ...must be frustrating.
    * I can honestly say we've never heard of this problem before.
    * Second problem with same piece of gear- I would have sent a brand new cab to you overnight had I known. In the future, don't ever hesitate to call me directly so you won't be out a cab. I can be reached at 860.509.8803 ext. 194

Kindest Regards,
    Roger Hart

20. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Wow, thanks so much. I will definetly give you a call!