Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genz Benz Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by verbass, Jul 6, 2005.

1. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    Just tried a Genz Benz GBE 600 today was really Psyched about the sound . Any one own one yet? Looking for opinions. :bassist:

If the future is now ......................
    What was Yesterday???

2. Yeah, I'd be interested to hear what they sound like in comparison to say an EBS TD650 or an Eden WT550? any one got an opinion?

3. I have a good friend who plays a very high profile major gig using the 600. I had the chance to play a variety of Lakland basses through it and was very, very impressed by the warmth and quality of the sound, given its very low price. The ability to mix the tube and transistor sounds is a big positive... lots of sound in there.

The only downside (I've mentioned in other posts that I really don't like when amp manufacturers do this) is that it will only product its full 600 watts into a 2ohm load, which is not a very typical cab combination, and I always question the true ability of any amp to run full out at 2ohms for long periods of time. The amp puts out about 400 watts into the more typical 4ohm load... so it's not as much a screamer as you would think. IMO... they should call it the 400, not the 600 :meh: However... it's very, very nice for the price, and comparable in my opinion to the Eden 400.

4. While you may only be getting 425? watts at 4 ohms, with the genz benz it sounds more like 800. Their watts are very understated.

5. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The GBE line by Genz-Benz was designed to run at a two ohm load. Genz-Benz's designer has said, "The amp really idles at an eight ohm load, as it should. It was designed to run all day at a two ohm load." I've heard of some quite rigorous testing for these amps, and the GBE1200 even moreso.

Genz-Benz makes top of the line stuff. I own one of their cabinets and it's great. I hope to add more to my rig as time goes on.

6. Cool. Again, I'm 90% positive on the amp... it's just that at this time, most of us are running 8ohm or 4ohm loads and I just find that stating the maximum power at 2ohms in the amp's name is just a little bit questionnable. This may be changing though, as amps are finally able to handle that very low ohmage. I still appreciate companies like EA that number their amp for the 'typical' 4ohm load (i.e., the iAmp800), even when it can put out 1000watts into 2ohms. However... this is a minor issue.... we all have our personal 'pet peeves' :D

7. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I agree that a two ohm load isn't the standard. Most of us use just a couple of eight ohm cabinets. Running a two ohm load is a nice feature, but as you said, isn't necessary and would be nice to have a switch to deliver full power to the four ohm load (there is a switch on the GBE1200 for that, however).

8. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    so not a lot of info on Durability , consistency, and reliability?
    they are relatively new so maybe I should wait . :crying:

9. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    I've been using a GB600 for about 3 years now. The tone is definitely very clean,warm and flexible. In fact, I usually set the EQ relatively flat, and engage the lo boost at about 2 o'clock. I've gotten many compliments on my tone ( I play a passive J-style bass and use 2 Genz Benz LS 1x12t cabs).
    The downside : Around January 2004, the amp developed a LOUD hum when the Mid Scoop button was engaged. The problem was intermittent, and of course would not rear it's ugly head for the local authorized tech center, or the folks at GB. Even though under warranty, I had to pay the shipping cost to have the head repaired. Within a month or so, the hum was back. Again it went back to GB. So far, so good...although I rarely use it anymore. The agency I work for always has a HUGE p.a. on the job, so I usually end up using a small combo with my signal bled through a supplied monitor for onstage support.

10. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    Thanks finally an honest opinion and some topical info.
    sorry to hear about your dilemma though