Genz Benz or Fender Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by angrydad, Jun 5, 2005.

1. angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    Hello Friends in Low Places,
    I currently play an all Genz Benz rig for all of my jobs : A GBE 600 Head and 2 LS 1x12t ( 1 cab depending on the stage/room)cabs...AWESOME !
    I've recently hooked up with a jazz trio (playing fretless electric), and a small club gig (p.a. support). I'm interested in your opinions concerning the Genz Benz ML-200 1x15t and the new Fender Bassman 250 combos for onstage monitoring.
    I know I like Genz Benz stuff (though Ive never played the ML combos),I also really dig the Bassman Combo 400's tone ( too heavy and bulky for my needs). Is the Bassman 250 a lower powered version of the 400, or a higher powered version of the Rumble series?
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    i have played the genz and the fender....

The genz is nice... but its pretty sterile. you can dial in a lot of tones, but nothing that will make someone say "omg... thats beautiful."

The fender is a lot warmer than the genz. it has better low end. The fender has a certain feeling of joy attached to it...

I'd go with the fender. warmer, better lows, more directed tone.... but, both would do the trick just fine in their own way.
  3. I have a GB intro50 112 combo. I use it for upright, and am pleased with both reproduction and using the EQ to tweak. It weighs 50 lb, and I carry it in one hand. Typically, the volume is on 2 or 3 to keep up with piano, sax, and drums. I've used an old bassman combo on electric, and thought it was fine, but they're a lot bigger. I don't know the details of Fender's current amp lineup. Plugging my fretless into the GB, I got pleasing results as well.