1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz OR Mesa for 310212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oneoftheway, Aug 1, 2007.

1. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    Hey guys,

Well I finally have the money to buy a head for my Shroeder.:) The toss up is between a Genz Benz 1200 and a Mesa 400+.

I play music that is generally of the heavier variety and so I was wondering what would be better. A big consideration is how well these amps will be able to reproduce my F# string (thats F#, B, E, A etc) on my seven string. Would the tubes on the 400+ be a little slow?

I also live in Australia and so the amp would need to be cahnged from 120v to 240v. Doing this on the Mesa is a matter of soldering a few wires, but what would be involved in converting the GB 1200? Maybe someone from GB could chime in? Id really appreciate it...

Thanks heaps guys!

2. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    there's isn't a conversion you have to worry about. The amps we ship to Australia are already set up.

We don't just flick a switch either for the voltage. The amps we send to Australia not only handle the 240 volts, they handle the common and LARGE spikes in Australia. Some amps aren't designed for this.

3. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    Is this the case even if I were to buy one secondhand? Or would I have to buy a new one and you would set it up specifically to handle the 240volts?

Thanks heaps for the super super fast reply, (2 minutes for anyone wondering haha) it certainly gives me some confidence.:)

4. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    Funny, I just sold my Mesa 400+ and bought a GBE-1200! I don't have the Genz yet, but I'd have to side with the GB on this one. The thing has massive power, and will handle the drop tuning no problem. I'm hoping someday to get a Schroeder cab as well, albeit a bit smaller version! Most likely the 410 or 21012. The Mesa is a great head, without a doubt. For me, it just wasn't my sound. It was plenty loud for my uses, but I could see some limitations starting to emerge. I, for one, like very clean sound. The mesa would start breaking up a bit when pushed. While many enjoy that grit, it just wasn't my thing. So anyhow... that is my personal experience! Apply with care... :)

5. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    once again- it isn't the 240 that's the problem.....it's what is beyond that in Australia.

The only amps we've sent to Australia are designed especially for those spikes. Therefore, if you buy a used on IN Australia, you'll be good. If you bring one in "grey market", you're at square one.

6. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Genz Benz...

Loud and Articulate,
    Warm,
    Tons of headroom,
    Tube sound yet it has a FET to get clear SS too.
    Dual Preamps
    Friendly EQ with incredible width.
    Does 2 ohms easily, even at Hot outdoor shows.
    Built like a tank
    Footswitch included
    Pretty Blue LEDS..lol
    Perfect EQ points.
    Does jazz to R&B to Metal..

I have a GBE1200 and i get constant compliments on my sound... I have never been so happy with an amp purchase in my life.
    I think a GBE750 could do most club gigs or any room with PA support for that matter.. I am just a headroom junkie so i got the 1200.

7. Depends what kind of tone you want. I love both heads, but use a 400+. Both heads are very versitle and can get many tones, but the 400+ will get a better overdrive when pushed and I think will overall sound a bit warmer and more compressed. If you want plenty of clean headroom though, I would definately check out the Genz, but to be honest you should not have a volume problem with either. Don't worry about the low notes, both heads will reproduce em well.

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    These people should have some Mesa/Boogie amps for use down under.

Pro Audio Supplies 87-89 Gladstone Street Fyshwick A.C.T. 2609
    Contact Tel +61 (0)2 6249 7766
    Fax +61 (0)2 6247 5960
    Email sales@proaudio.com.au

9. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    i am a big mesa fan but i will have to try out a gb soon

what size venue are you playing that a mb 400+ wont fill without distortion and breaking up
    i mean
    on stage i am now using a walkabout and that is only 300 watts and it drives the band nuts it is so loud
    and the 400 is even louder
    do you use any foh in the venue or do u fill it up from the stage, that just seems soo sooooo loud

10. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    both amps are good but i lean towards the GB gear myself. I really get some wicked tone mixing the ss pre & tube pre together. also keep in mind the GB 750 sounds the same as the 1200 just different power output & the 750 is 2 rack spaces vs 3 spaces on the 1200 and the 750 about 9lbs lighter than the 1200. Either way ya can't go wrong with GB. I wish I still had my old 600 for "light duty" stuff

11. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    hmm, well youve given me some stuff to think about! Im still not sure about the voltage, how hard is it to convert the genz benz to 240volts? Is it a matter of changing parts (expensive or inexpensive) or is simply a few wires that need to be changed... Would it be a simple process for my tech to undertake?

Im leaning towarrds the GB (if you hadnt noticed hehe), just worried about the conversion stuff...

Thanks heaps!

12. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    If you buy the head in Australia, then there is no conversion to make. It will do it out of the box. If you buy a US model, then who knows! At least that is what I'm understanding from the GB rep's comments up the thread.

13. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    I had the delight to listen to Chuck Rainey play through a GB and I am sold. That sound is so crystal clear that it will reproduce anything that you send through it.

Both are great choices, but I am in favor of GB myself.

14. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    you are correct.....and I'm not a rep....I'm the Product Manager.

He's not understanding or I'm not being clear.

If he buys one in Australia, there isn't any conversion to be done. I'm not getting something here.

:meh:

15. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I've thought about trying out a GBE, though I currently use a Bass 400 with KT-88's in it.

I think I'd rather go solid state if you want to use those ridiculously low notes. At volume, you'd probably end up overdriving the tubes.

However... this head sounds ridiculously badass and articulate, even with my B string, if you overdrive it with the master on 10 and the bass on about 1 1/2....

16. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I think he's asking what needs to be done to convert a foreign head to 240v operation, probably looking to buy one used from overseas.

17. I play a 310212 and from my experience using both Tube amps and a GBE 600 though it, I'd say go with the GENZ

I was blown away by the tone of the GB the first time I used it at a show! The tube head will be big and loud, but to be honest, you don't really need the tube thickness through the schroeder, it's already thick

Plus the GB has a million different EQ options... the Messa 400+ is like a one trick pony compared to the GB

Plus the Schroeder will love having 1200watts pumped into it, it'll really open the cab up, whereas the Mesa will get mad loud too, but probably get that tube break up at the higher volumes