Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genz Benz P-Nut Tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowfreqfreak, Sep 7, 2004.

1. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses, GHS Strings
    Howdie folks.
    I run a Warwick Corvette 5 String through a Hartke 3500, with a Hartke 4.5xl for highs on top of a Genz Benz 15 for the lows. My tone is similar to P-nut or Dirk Lance (at least that's what I'd like to go for.) Believe it or not, my current set up sounds really good. I'm thinking of swapping the cabs for something like a 6x10 because I don't like the way the mismatched gear looks and i'd like to save a little room in the band's van. The full punch of the low B (apparently around 25-30hz) is a BIG priority to me as well as clarity/crispiness for slap. Anyone know about the new Genz Benz 6x10 xb2? The genzbenz.com description is below. Any other suggestions for a rig?

GB 610T-XB2
    The ultimate statement in performance and value that can rule on any stage. This model features all six drivers coupled in one chamber and with its XB porting has low frequency extension usable to 25 Hz. Other response characteristics are its quick and articulate mids and crisp highs. Rated Power: 900 watts RMS. Components: Six GXB 1040 woofers, one GBE 4410 4” tweeter and one GBE 3560 4K Hz 18db crossover. Available in 4 ohms

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Do the 6x10. I had one, and I loved it to death. Its a very heavy cabinet, but the tone is worth it. For some reason, Warwicks just sound best through Genz Benz rigs. You should also look into a Genz head.

3. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    I definitely want to check it out along with the Genz head. I'd like to talk more about this with you. IM me on AIM at "lowfreqfreak" Thanks. Anyone else?

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I will tomorrow. I need to get in bed, since I have to get up early for class.

5. You should definitely try both the 6x10 and 4x10 Genz cabs. There's a guy in town who rocks the 4x10 with a Jerzy Drozd and a Warwick Streamer (both 5-ers) and the 4x10 just kills. It's deep, round, and bright all at the same time. I was very impressed. Also, since the huge ports are on the bottom, it lifts the 10's a little higher so that it doesn't seem like the sound is just shooting past your knees. If you can handle the weight and space of the 6, by all means get it. But I think you'd find the 4 to be more than sufficient and do your Corvette proud.

6. Genz Benz: like the sound alot, hate the look. Really really really dislike that two-tone furry look.

You know who else makes a killer 610? Bergantino. The NV series. the sound is great!

Even more goodness: the Ampeg version. LOVE that cab. The mids are not too harsh, but such an edge.

7. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    What does everyone think about 6 10's as opposed to a 4x10 and a 15. the lows are a big deal to me. I can't have the speakers farting out or just producing highs. Give input please.

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    If your looking for lows, the 6x10 is the way to go. It goes down all the way to 35 hertz and useable 25 hertz. Never once farted out with my Lakland.