genz benz reliability?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    ive read some great reviews about these amps but id like to hear first hand what owners have to say. at the moment i am amp and speakerless. looking to get a gbe 600, 2x12, and 2x10 avatar cabs. would the head hold up well? how about at 2 ohms? genz benz web site claims the head can do 2 ohms all day.
  2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I haven't had the pleasure of trying their heads. But i have 2 Genbenz cabs which are excellent. I have a 2x10 and a 1x15 and they sound great. Bought 'em used, I've had them for 2 years with no problems whatsoever. My only gripe is they are pretty heavy. I plan on keeping them for a while. One day when i have some extra loot i am going to upgrade to a Bag End day.
  3. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    You may be better off posting this question at the Harmony-Central Bass Forum. There are two guys who work at Genz-Benz who frequently interact over there, and there aren't the stringent rules that apply over here (which is not a bad thing, just different).

The Genz will run at two ohms all day, under the hottest conditions.

I've head no reliability problems about those amps, and the customer service is top-notch.

Also, if you can, try out Genz Benz cabs. I've got an LS210T (their cheaper 2x10) and it's great - punch and clarity all day. I can't provide direct comparison to the Avatar 2x10, but I'm one hundred percent satisfied with my Genz (which is also lighter than the Avatar, even the NEO cabs).
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have a Series 2 bass amp from GB. It is an excellent piece of gear. Super loud, and it is a workhorse. No 2ohm loads for me, but I have played for three to four hours straight with zero issues on a 4ohm load.

5. I own a GBE 600. I've had it for about 2 months now, pracitced with it a bunch, gigged with it once. While this isnt exactly long run, I have no doubt that it'll be fine. The gig I played with it, was a long one. I was running it at 4 ohms through an 810 cabinet. First of all, this was a big place, with a nice sized house PA and subs. The soundman said his amp that powered the subs just went out, so I'd not get to DI or have the cab mic'd. So my rig had to supply bass for the entire venue for my own band, as well as the opening band. So here we go, soundcheck for us was about 45 minutes (we did a bit of rehearsing on stage, before the doors opened), then the first act goes on, solo acoustic guy, then the next band came up, and their bassist had to use my rig. So they soundchecked, and then did about an hour and a half long set, they got off the stage, we went on, and played for about two and a half hours. The amp was never turned off from the time I set it up early in the day. Not once did it clip, and I actually had the soundman asking me to turn it down because it was overpowering his PA. At the end of the night when it was all said and done, I touched the top of the amp (not in a rack case) expecting it to be at least warm, but the damn thing was cold to the touch. They must have a very efficient cooling system, because I've had amps go into protect mode after half the playing time I did on the genz. So there you have it. All you have heard about them are true. Genz Benz definately understates their wattage. 425 watts at 4 ohms sounded more like 750 to 1000 ampeg or swr watts. They appear to be bulletproof, and not prone to overheating. If they say they'll run at 2 ohms all day long, I believe it. The tone is absolutely to die for. If you're curious, definately check them out. I still cant figure out how they are so cheap yet so wonderful. Got mine brand new with factory warrantee and foot switch for only 630 total.
  6. pdxmar

Feb 13, 2005
    I just picked up a used Genz Benz 4-10 XB cab on E-bay for $300. It arrived today and I hooked it up. WOW..better than I had dreamed. Super clear and enough rumble to shake the house. With the LF button engaged on the GBE600 it gets super low.... the kind that you feel more than hear. I am running the amp at around 2.6 ohms...... the 4 ohm XB along with a SWR goliath 410 8 ohm and after 3 hours of jamming loud with a drummer and guitar who has a marshall stack no problems. If fact I checked the heat sink on the back of the amp and it was barely luke warm. I never had the amp turned past 9 o'clock.
  7. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I have one. Do I like it? Heck yeah! Is it reliable? More than you can believe. I've owned mine for about 3 months now, and had a previous one. The one thing I cannot gripe about Genz Benz about is reliability. Never heard of anyone having an issue with them.

I do plan on switching my primary rig to a GK rig pretty soon for more power, but I plan on keeping every single piece of Genz gear I got. I like the sound of the GK more, but the Genz, I think, its built tougher.

8. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    yup definitely going with genz benz now. you guys helped finalize my decision. thanx everyone! :bassist:
  9. :cool: I was an Ampeg devotee. Had been since the early 60s. Well, about three years ago a music store owner friend of mine conviced me to try some Genz-Benz gear. I was in the market for something new so I bought two cabs, an LS-210T and LS-115B. Both have proven to be solid investments. Not to long afterward I added an LS-112T, for smaller stuff. (I have never found a 2x10 cabinet by anyone that I like to use by itself, ANYONE!)

Anyway, after reading the review in Bass Player about the GBE-600, I bought one. I've been using it for quite a while now; over two years. It has proven to be a solid amp. Great tone, great versatility, more power than I've found a need for yet. It don't look to bad either. It is a lot better than my old Ampeg SVT-III, which I have subsequently sold.

Last year I added one of Genz-Benz new NEOX-212 cabs. Again, one SOLID investment. It's rated for 600W RMS at 4-ohms, weighs around 65 lbs, and sounds wonderful. It actually outperformed my Ampeg SVT-410HLF. I've since sold the Ampeg.

I was in contact with Jeff Genzler at Genz-Benz recently and he informed me that they were coming out with a NEOX-210 cab, late summer/early fall, to go with the NEOX-212. Trust me, I'll be one of the first in line to get one.

I think Genz-Benz is putting out some of the finest equipment around right now. And for the money, it definitely outstrips a lot of the old "standby", "stalwart" companies. At least in my opinion.

Our band plays an average of about 3 gigs a month most months, and 8 a month over the end-of-year holiday season. So far, absolutely no problems of any kind. None.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Genz-Benz products. Give 'em a try.
  10. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    yeah genz benz seems like its getting to be hot stuff lately. thanx sammy. keep rockin! im starting up a new band with my old drummer in about a month. :cool: