Genz Benz setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dude Chapman, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Dude Chapman

Dude Chapman

Apr 11, 2004
    I am currently looking into getting the Genz Benz XB2 4x10, and after reading a lot about them on this forum I don't think I will be displeased :) What do you think would be the best head for this cab? I am in a rock band (A Perfect Cirlce-ish) and I play a Carvin 6-string and Chapman Stick. I need just a good all-around full tone, great bass and clear highs.

I am looking into getting the SWR SM-900, but am open for any other possibilities. Thanks!
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Budget ???

Current head you're using ???

Your profile doesn't say and it's hard to give suggestions without that info.
  3. Dude Chapman

Dude Chapman

Apr 11, 2004
    For the most part budget isn't too big of an issue. Although I would like to stay around or under $1000. My current setup is the Line6 Bass Pod Pro and a Carvin power amp. But I am selling that and an amp to purchase this new head. So, for that budget what would be some heads to look into for the GB XB2 4x10 cab?
  4. Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I wouldn't buy a new head, just buy a new poweramp if you need more power. If that is the case, try the QSC PLX line, regarded around here as very reliable, powerful, light, and with a clear response.
  5. rickbass

Well, at least that budget pretty much rules out Aguilar.

That big SWR is a fine choice, IME. I've used them and they are quite versatile. One time I used an SM-900 with a G-B stack and I almost thought I was playing through an SVT Classic.

As long as you're talking G-B's, maybe their bigger heads would be a good choice, too. Outside of rack systems, sticking with the speaker designer's heads is often a great way to get the most out of the is designed to work well with the other.

The new BBE preamps seem to get a lot of raves, too. (Haven't tried them, though)

This is not to imply that amps/cabs are always the sole answer.
  6. Dude Chapman

Dude Chapman

Apr 11, 2004
    Rickbass, thanks man. I was also doing some looking into the GB heads as well. I don't really need more power, and would like to do away with the effects processor/power amp setup. Would Aguilar be the head of choice if budget wasn't an issue and you were going solely on the best head?
  7. rickbass

Don't like the weight of the Aguilar amps, Dude, especially since I often don't load/unload my gear. Heavy gear seems to get treated rougly, IME. It was a tough decision - the all-tube Aguilar tone is to die for, want a rock sound - you got want smooth and warm - you got it.....just tweak the knobs.

The weight and power, plus travel demands, are the main reasons I went with a QSC PLX and an Aguilar DB 659 with a SansAmp pedal pushing it/compressing it.

But, with the "all-in-one" head and your budget, I was trying to save you the costs of a power amp + preamp + rack case + other crap like a power protector, et al.

I've had a MOSFET head before and have used FET heads before, too, (as G-B offers). They sound doggone good, IMO!!!

But in the end, it's all about that tone we hear in our heads.
  8. Dude Chapman

Dude Chapman

Apr 11, 2004
    Do you know anything about the new Aguilar AG500 head??
  9. rickbass

Just what little the April Issue of "Bass Player" had to say in it's NAMM report........"Known for its buttery tone and hybrid gear, Aguilar garnered buzz with the debut of its first all solid-state head........" .

Then the article goes on to describe the AG but never says whether it delivers on the "Aguilar sound." Then again, I never swallow "Bass Player" gear reviews/comments anyway.
  10. Dude Chapman

Dude Chapman

Apr 11, 2004
    Do you think it's better to go with the "all-in-one" setup or with the power amp and pre-amp setup?