1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0 10T vs Genzler Magellan 350 Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Aldwyn, May 16, 2019.

1. Aldwyn

Aldwyn Old Musician, New to UB!

Jan 5, 2019
    Columbia, Maryland
    I have been on the lookout for a GB Shuttle 3.0 10T to pair with my Realist Lifeline, but the good ones seem to be few and far between.

And it got me wondering... has anyone done a comparison between the Shuttle 3.0 10T combo and it's newer brother, the Magellan 350 Combo for use on an UB?

And anyone who has, can they share their thoughts, please?

Thanks!

2. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I am using my GB Shuttle 3.0-10T combo (with 10T extension cabinet) with my EUB and I love it.

I have no experience with Genzler gear though...

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  3. I use a Magellan 350 combo and it’s great. I’ve not used a Shuttle though so I can’t compare.

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I think all you have to do is take a look at the differences between the EQ layout and spec's between the two amps.

Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 11.41.49 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 11.41.12 AM.png

The Genzler has a wider sweep on the Midrange Parametric EQ section
    The Contour on the Genzler is sweepable with two different curves, while the Shuttle has three "signal shapes"

Of course the best way to know is to do a actual comparison of the two amps side by side, good luck

My bet is on the Shuttle sounding better for DB, but that's just a guess.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    pjbassist and Zbysek like this.
  5. Aldwyn

Jan 5, 2019
    Columbia, Maryland
    Thanks guys!

I have been leaning toward the Shuttle, as mentioned, and the tube preamp would make a difference I would imagine. I certainly prefer the more organic sound of tubes on my guitar amps...

Its a shame there isnt a place (other than perhaps Genzler's shop, perhaps!) where I could back to back them.

pjbassist likes this.
  6. rickwolff

rickwolff ..Gear & Tone Junkie.. My Ignorance is Bliss. Supporting Member

I would encourage you to check out the Genzler Acoustic Pro GOLLIHUR MODEL. I used to have a GB Shuttle 3.0.

7. rickwolff

rickwolff ..Gear & Tone Junkie.. My Ignorance is Bliss. Supporting Member

Here's a little demo of the Genzler Acoustic Array Pro Gollihur model:

8. jsf729

jsf729 Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Central Maryland
    I used the Genz Benz stuff for years, but I LOVE my 350 combo with upright. I get a very natural sound using a vintage Underwood. I think it may have something to do with the input impedance. I also have the case. Nice, light and portable. Getting ready to use it on a louder gig and I'll couple it with my 12/3 array cabinet. Can't wait!

9. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    No tube in the preamp section of the 3.0. Great amp - really enjoyed mine, especially using it with a second 10" speaker.

Zbysek likes this.
  10. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Misterbadger,
    You are right, I forgot that the tube was only in the 6.0.

th.jpeg Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 11.41.49 AM.png
    Well that narrows the differences between the two quite a bit. OP, in my recollection the Shuttle 3.0, isn't especially powerful for bigger gigs, if that's important to you.
    Since the cabinets are 8 ohm you're only getting 175 watts RMS. The EQ section is teriffic however, The same is true for the Magellian, if you're driving a 8 ohm cabinet. The Genzler Gollhur has a acoustic array cabinet, that will help lots with definition and it can be elevated. It's 150 watts RMS. As long as
    I were playing trio and duo gigs, with maybe a ocassional quartet, the Acoustic Array likely has the advantage. IME 500 watts RMS, is good to have if you're doing big band or pop stuff. So,
    it always depends on your own requirements. I played for years with a 25 ( actually closer 30) watt B-15N(C) or
    later on a 80 watt Gallien Krueger 200MB and never noticed any issues, in small group jazz combos.
    So go figure.

rickwolff and Zbysek like this.
  11. Aldwyn

Jan 5, 2019
    Columbia, Maryland
    No larger than a bluegrass or small jazz band, is all that I am looking at. Since I just started playing UP in January, I dont expect to be playing large venues any time soon (though already turned down a gig... I want to get my right hand/arm stamina up before I start gigging!) So the small combo should be perfect, hence the Shuttle 3.0 10T.

I had thought about the Gollihur Model Bass Array, but passed thinking it was too much amp for me. I don't need two channels, for instance. And the weight is considerably more then the Shuttle. (that was another reason I decided to pass on the MB150S, as well, though it sounds up my alley otherwise)

But it sounds like the 350 may be an option if I dont mind paying much more for it. :D I am still hoping I can find an inexpensive 3.0 10T in good nick, but if I get tired of looking, I have another option.

@misterbadger as a side note, I also have a retired racer... Lazy K Hero Val out of Alabama... or "Valerie" since she is now retired and off the track. :)

misterbadger likes this.
  12. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Realist - pre - shuttle3.0 - Crazy 8. This has been my current rig for a couple of years and I love it. Shuttle has nice aux in that I have utilized for doubling as well. The Mid scoop button helps with piezo pick ups quite a bit. I haven’t weighed it but my rig is well south of 20LBS.

Zbysek likes this.
  13. RyanKinBK

RyanKinBK Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seattle
    Up until recently, I had both. They're both awesome but somewhat different in terms of what they're excellent for (IMO). My other caveat is, I had the GB combo for a number of years and have only had the Magellan combo for a few months.

To me, my main motivation for getting the Magellan was wanting something that was similar in terms of portability and sonic profile to the GB that could get a little louder on it's own, without needing another cab. The Magellan definitely has the advantage over the GB in this sense. Another thing that's amazing about the Magellan is the dispersion of the sound due to the tweeter array. Overall, I think the cab can project more broadly across a room than the GB can.

All that being said, for me, the GB was probably slightly easier to get a great upright sound out of. (I used Full Circle and Wilson pickups at various points.) Also, the GB is definitely smaller and lighter, which is a plus for upright gigs.

Ultimately, the Magellan is the better combo for me right now because I'm playing more electric bass gigs than upright gigs these days. But really, they're both excellent pieces of kit.

14. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler Commercial User

Feb 9, 2007
    Brooklyn NY
    Currently GENZLER AMPLIFICATION / Formerly GENZ BENZ
    Yes, is there something I can assist with?

pjbassist likes this.
  15. It was a reference to the original post. :)

16. Aldwyn

Jan 5, 2019
    Columbia, Maryland
    So I... "accidentally"... won a 3.0 Shuttle head on Ebay. You know... starting bid isnt bad. Throw in the bid thinking someone is sure to out bid you, only to win the thing when its all over. Too bad, since I really wanted the combo!

So now thew question should read: "What cab should I use with my Shuttle 3.0"? hehe!

17. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Congratulations!

There is one GB cab being sold in you area:

For Sale - Genz Benz Uber Quad - LDS 3015LF Sub - GK 1001RB-II

It ain't small, though...

18. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I’ve been very happy with a RevSound 28, very lightweight and would be fine for the purposes you have in mind.