1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz Shuttle 3 cabinet choices.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by G-Unit 01, Mar 25, 2009.

1. G-Unit 01

G-Unit 01

Mar 5, 2009
    New Zealand
    I have been on the hunt for a new bass amp. Reading all the positive comments on this forum led me to test out a Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 head last week.

My question is, will the shuttle 3.0 be capable of driving either 1 or 2 of the 12 inch shuttle cabs or aletrnatively the shuttle 2x10 cabinet that is usually matched with the shuttle 6.0 head.

I am in New Zealand and the store that sells GB had no shuttle cabs to try so I am flying blind on this one.

I love the small form factor of the shuttle 3.00 and unless the shuttle 6.0 was night and day better, I would be happy with the 3.0 based on the brief test I gave it, especially given the price differential here but think I would prefer the 12 ich cabinets.

Thoughts please as a demo may be difficult if not impossible.

2. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    i run my 3.0-10T Combo with a Neox 12 and it sounds mighty fat and loud

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    300 watts are 300 watts. It drives my 15/210 Epi stack just fine.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The Shuttle 3.0 can drive any two 8 ohm cabinets. Two 8 ohm 12" cabinets would be a good match IMO.

5. G-Unit 01

G-Unit 01

Mar 5, 2009
    New Zealand
    Thanks to those who replied..

It is really great to get an answer from a representative of the company.

These things count for a lot when you are on the other side of the world.

To this end I am really impressed with the design and sound of this head. It has everything I want on board in a small form factor so looks like my choice is made.

6. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I don't think you will be disappointed. It is absolutely unreal what the Genz folks have packed into such a tiny package. I have fun taking my 3.0 and putting it on top of a large cab and "part hair" across the room. I purchased mine primarily for small gigs-quick in-quick out. It excels in that area. The surprise is when you hook it up to a bigger cab...surprise is a good description. One of the things that you will appreciate-if you don't already-is the complete professional feature set that these amps have. Oh, yeah...if you haven't guessed already-the Genz folks have unbelievable customer service. They routinely go above and beyond the call of duty...I can honestly attest that Genz-Benz will "have your back".

Kim

7. junglebike

junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I love my 3.0-10t. Any recommendations for a second cab to go with it? I'd love a Neo 112 or the shuttle 10t extension, but they're both pretty spendy, even used... money's a bit tight and I'll only need the extension once a month or so...

8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Depends on your expectations regarding output, low frequency extension, size and weight.

The Shuttle and Neo cabinets are not cheap, the cost of building small, lightweight, efficient cabinets is higher than for traditional cabinets.

I would suggest that you try a few options to see for yourself how they fit with your expectations and playing/music style.

9. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL

10. junglebike

junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I agree wholeheartedly with the above; I'm utterly amazed at the performance of the 1x10 combo I have; I'm just looking for a bit extra in cases where the laws of physics and small club economics [no PA support!] require more speaker area. I understand that light, cheap, and good do not come together; I am willing to give up "light" because I only need more than the 1x10 in occasional circumstances.

So, cutting to the chase... anyone recommend a $150-200 used cab to supplement my awesome lightweight combo? Old-school is fine, as my upright gigs *never* need more than the 1x10. Thinking about the new Acoustic 1x15 for $199 new at GC... anyone used this with a Shuttle?

11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Whatever you think might work, be sure to give it a real tryout combined with the Shuttle cabinet just to be sure it does what you need. You might discover that it's worth spending a little bit more for a better cabinet all around.