1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0-12T, 12 died

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gadgetx23, Sep 9, 2008.

1. gadgetx23

gadgetx23

Jul 15, 2005
    After reading a lot of positive reviews here, I picked up this Shuttle combo last week. I took it to one practice, and decided to try it out at a show last Friday.

I was REALLY impressed with the tone and volume that it gave me. However, about 6 songs into the show, it crapped out; the 12 quit working.

I took it back to the dealer over the weekend; shouldn't be a problem getting a replacement. My question is, was this most likely defective, or is it possible that I was pushing it too hard? The preamp was set so there was no clipping; the master was probably 3/4, and didn't notice any clipping. I was getting pretty good volume out of it, didn't notice any degrading of sound.

When the dealer removed the 12, it wasn't frozen or scratchy when pushing on the cone.

I'm hoping this was a fluke. If it was my fault, I don't want to go and do the same thing at the next show; and I don't want to have to baby it in fear of it crapping out on me again.

Do those who own this combo push it reasonably hard without issues?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    You don't bring a toothpick to build a log cabin.

If you are playing at fairly loud level you will probably need to add a reinforcement cab. (I would assume so if you were running the master at 75%.

While that combo is considered loud for it's size, It's not a 212 or 410 "killer".

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    It's certainly possible that it was just a defective driver. Regardless of anybody's best intent, sometimes these things happen. That's why warranties and customer service are an important part of anything a customer buys. Your dealer should be able to gett his taken care of quickly. Let me know if I can be of any help.

4. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    One of the GB Boyz will probably swoop in here and take care of it. If not, PM 'hasbeen'.

Edit: WOW, happened while I was typing!

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Same thing happened to me.
    Got a refund, never looked back.

6. gadgetx23

gadgetx23

Jul 15, 2005
    Thanks for the replies. I usually run an SWR 6x10 Goliath, and I just picked up the Genz Benz hoping I could use it for smaller shows. (I'm getting tired of lugging the big rig around)

If I was pleased with what the Shuttle could do at a small show, I was planning on getting rid of the SWR and picking up an extension cab to use this full time.

The master was around 75%, but I usually have the preamp gain and volume at less than 1/2. Since there was little or no clipping on either side of the amp, I would like to think I wasn't over-doing it... But if I am at fault, I just want to make sure I don't repeat the same mistake.

We do have sound reinforcement, so I don't need it to fill the room... just enough for stage volume in a southern rock / country band. I know Genz Benz support is top-notch, and HasBeen and AgedHorse go above and beyond in this forum and others.... I'll just feel really stupid if I go out and do it again!

Typically if a speaker is over-driven, wouldn't the voice coil be scratchy or frozen; or is that a false assumption?

7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    False assumption.

There are many failure modes, it's possible (just for example), that there was a fracture in the VC wire due to work hardening of the drawing and fabrication process. This is not unheard of from any speaker manufacturer. It's not "common" either. This will result in no sound and no rubbing or scratchy sound.

8. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    FYI, I've been rocking the @$$ out of my 6.0-12T for months and it hasn't hiccupped(sp?). :smug:

9. gadgetx23

gadgetx23

Jul 15, 2005
    That's good to hear. I don't want to have to play it as if it's fragile!

10. gadgetx23

gadgetx23

Jul 15, 2005
    But that would be a failure due to a defect. What I'm asking is if I did in fact push it too hard (if it wasn't defective), wouldn't the failure (most likely) cause VC to be scratchy or frozen?

11. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    Fortunately enough it is a Genz. I say fortunately because tho no one ever wants to use it, they are a company with stellar customer service. Your problem will be handled quickly and at least the Genz guys are active here to know what is really going on their products. How many other company's have their engineers on line?

12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Yes, I described a defect in the speaker.

Overpowering and opening the VC can also occur without rubbing or scraping provided there is adequate clearances and the centering remains good.

Frozen is not a typical overpowering symptom, generally it's due to a speaker pole piece that has broken from the back plate due to being dropped but it can be due to overpowering with way too much power or exceeding the Xmech ofthe driver, causing it to leave the gap but get hung up on the return.

13. I have had the combo going on 4 months now without any problems and I push hard frequently. I haven't put the master beyond 3 o'clock so about the same as you.

14. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    Give Jeff a call at 480.941.0705.....he's expecting your call. Tell him Roger sent you from TB.

We will send you a new driver overnight if that will work for you.

15. gadgetx23

gadgetx23

Jul 15, 2005
    I must say, I am impressed! Something goes wrong with a Genz Benz product and they are all over it making sure it's taken care of!

I gave Jeff a call (super nice guy!) He has already been in contact with the local dealer, and a replacement was shipped yesterday. Apparently he asked to have the failed driver returned for analysis because it sounded like an odd problem; so I hope I can get a response to learn what failed.

Thanks again to all at Genz Benz!

16. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution

yup...just spoke to Jeff....he said he spoke to your dealer yesterday. ....cool.

17. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    I had a similar problem happen to me less than 15 minutes out of the box...on shipment day. I called Genz and they shipped out a replacement cab same day. I already have received it and have not had any problems since. Genz Benz customer service is the gold standard!

18. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    welcome to CS

19. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    And that is why I bought my Genz gear... Because of the exceptional CS that i saw them do for normal folks..
    I have been slamming my Shuttle 6.0 for about 9 months and my GBE1200 for about 2 years without one issue. But I know that if i did have an issue it would not be a bunch of empty promises.. But instead what they say they stand behind they actually do...
    Great CS story

20. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    just my gut feeling...you may want to add another cab so you don't have to run past 50% volume.

I get nervous if I have to go past 50% with 550w into 4ohms....I run two 112s

anyone???