1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0-12T (& Epi) Sound Clips

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VroomVroom, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Hi Folks,

I've owned the 6.0-12T combo for just over two months. I haven't exactly been shy in saying how much I love this little rig, but since I've received a number of PM's asking about sound clips, I figured I'd post some up here in the 'amps' forum. Here's the ear candy before the boring stuff...

- 6.0-12T w/ Roscoe SKB3006:
    My Baby Just Cares for Me
    Unforgettable
    Smooth Operator
    Pink Cadillac
    Put Your Records On
    Stolen Moments
    Yet another Stolen Moments

- 6.0 w/ Epifani UL310-2 & MTD 635:
    In These Shoes
    Midnight Hour

All of the recordings were captured with my trusty M-Audio Microtrack 24/96. 24-bit .wav in, 48khz .mp3 out. EQ on the bass is flat, with the exception of bass boost to ~ 6/10. Amp EQ is completely flat, and the pre-gain is set to ~ 2 o'clock. As you can tell, my primary instrument with this rig is the Roscoe SKB. Here's a shot from Saturday night's casual:

3481308782_bdc3077287.

I confess that I didn't expect to like this amp. In fact, I pretty much ignored it for many months. Foolish brand bigotry on my behalf...no excuses. Then, one fateful evening in early February, I sampled a few Roscoe & Zon basses through the combo at my local store. I was instantly hooked. The sound quality knocked me out, and then I lifted it...32lbs of sonic happiness. Only took me about a week to decide that I had to have one. Turns out the timing was perfect. Many of my gigs these days are fairly small. And due to the economy, a number of gigs already on the books have shrunk from larger ensembles down to quintets and even trios.

So far, the amp has been on a total of 13 gigs and two rehearsals, and the 12" cab has seen duty on 11 of those dates. One two of those gigs, the combo fit underneath a grand piano...I would've been in big trouble if I'd brought anything larger. Nearly all of these have been jazz hits in small rooms and/or with small groups. However, I'm very impressed with how the amp sounds through both my 310 and 410 Epifani cabs. And, although my last gig was with a small group (quintet), we were in an auditorium with a huge stage. I pushed the combo more than I ever had before, and it still sounded fantastic. So much so that I may keep the 310 cabinet at home on such gigs in the future.

A few more impressions...
    - I love the amp with my Roscoe basses, especially through the 12" cabinet. With the MTD's or Sadowsky? Not so much. The tone seems a bit dry/sterile...which I know probably isn't a great description...sorry about that. However, in the past Ken (KJung) has described my Epifani amp/cab tone as being a bit dark. I think the two files above with the Shuttle amp/Epi 410 combo demonstrate much of what I like with a bit more open and upper-mid-happy tone shape. Through the Roscoes there's this great "chewiness" to the tone that seems to really leverage the character strengths in the Roscoe sound - fat lower mids, and growly upper mids.

- Before I bought I'd heard much about the 600w rating being a bit optimistic. Not a huge deal for me, as I don't expect this rig to do any of the "heavy work." Nonetheless, on a couple of occasions now I have pushed it harder than expected, with great results. I can see why folks like the extension cab, and can certainly see this rig cutting through in a medium/loud room.

- Speaking of the 12" extension cab, and this is probably just me (ain't easy being me :D), but while I love the sound of the 6.0 through the single 12", I don't like the rig driving two of the cabinets. Seems odd, I don't get it, but there it is. And I was all set to buy that second cab too....go figure.

- It's impossible to overstate the portability of this combo. Other musicians and astute listeners have pretty much the same feedback...something this small and light shouldn't sound so good. Many folks have posted about back problems, space issues, etc. From that perspective, I smile every time I lift this thing.

And speaking of feedback, I continually hear the same kinds of stuff from piano players, guitarists, vocalists, drummers...yada yada. They love the sound. Not just the character, but also the fact that it's not boomy or muddy, yet the whole frequency range is well covered. I'm not sure how much the size factors in, but a lot of these folks never went out of their way to compliment my Epifani sound. :crying:

So, there you have it. I hope I haven't covered too much that's already been said in other threads, and I also hope this is of some value to anyone considering such a purchase. Obviously tone is subjective, and we should all hear as many options as possible when in the market. But I can't recommend this rig highly enough and would certainly suggest trying it out - if for no other reason than to eliminate it from your list of candidates. Thanks for your time...

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I always enjoy your clips...real world tone in a gigging context.

I love how the mix and match works. I find the Shuttle6.0/12T a bit thin and clanky in general, and the Roscoe a bit dark and in some ways low end heavy and bit too chewy IMO. However, the clips you posted on that combination show how the 'yin yang' can really work. The tone was very even, full, articulate, a little bit of grind, and a lot of warm low end that wasn't boomy. I dug it a lot, and the bass and amp combined to even out the peaks and valleys really nicely!

That MTD/Epi just doesn't speak to me much, although it sounds tighter with the 6.0 than with the 502...too big down low for my taste. Pure IMO there:) It of course sounds great, just not my thing.

Nice clips, and IMO that Roscoe/Genz rig really works!

3. Thanks for the kind words, Ken. I think if I'm surprised by anything, it's that I don't care for the sound of the MTD & Sadowsky nearly as much as I thought I would. Maybe it's the thin/clanky sound you describe that doesn't mesh with the "hi-fi" of the MTD's and the bridge-biased pickups (and that pre, of course!) of the Mighty Sadowsk'.

4. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hi Jerry, love the clips! I'm also a big fan of this combo. Been using mine on a piano trio gig for over a year and I only have great things to say about it. I was wondering what you didn't like about the rig with two cabs? Too much of something maybe?

BTW, if you get a chance, try running your 6.0 head through a Bergantino AE410. To me, it cops the sound of the combo only MUCH bigger. I started using this on my trio gigs even though it is tremendous over-kill because it sounds so good. When I go back to the 6.0-12T after using this, it sounds a little thin.

Anyway, thanks for the clips and enjoy your fine gear!

Alan

PS - Ken's "thin & clanky" usually = My Sound! :)

5. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Great stuff Jerry! I keep coming back to the Shuttle 6 and thinking it could handle most if not all of my work. I just need to find a shop where I can demo one. :cool:

Heck, it's even small enough I could use it as a pre/DI for IEM gigs.

6. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    Great stuff, Jerry.

This is what a review on TB should be...analysis that doesn't get overly technical, but is not overly dumbed down. Real-life description accompanied by real-life, gigging soundclips. Perfect.

Now I want one...

7. Thanks, fellas! The size and weight is simply amazing. I handed the amp to a keyboard player friend, and he was just blown away. Obviously that's meaningless if it doesn't sound good, and that's what is most impressive to me with this rig. It's not a be-all/end-all by any means, but in its sweet spot (for me, with the Roscoe on a small gig) it's just awesome, which makes its overall versatility even more terrific.