1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DirtyThunder, Oct 4, 2009.

1. DirtyThunder

DirtyThunder

Sep 27, 2009
    Hi, I've known about talkbass for a while and have used it to research opinions about equipment among other things but I wanted to participate in the conversation and get more direct advice, so here I am.

I am playing a feder jaguar deluxe bass through an ampeg svt 350 head and a SWR 4x10 golath III. I have not been satisfied with both power and tone from the ampeg head, and am looking to upgrade. Right now, the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 looks pretty good to me, but I dont know much about power output and how much i should be putting into my SWR cab. The cab runs at 8 ohms and I intend to eventually enhance my rig with another piece to get maximum wattage, but for now I just need a head that will give me volume and a tone that I can work with. Also, I'm unsure as to whether I should spring for the Shuttle 9.0, if I need the added wattage for my eventual 2 cabinets?

Can anybody tell me if running a Shuttle 6.0 through an 8 ohm Goliath III 4x10 is a wise combination for an amp? or if the 9.0 would work better? I know very little about how much power my cab can/should be handling. please help me out. thanks.

-New User Sean.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    6.0 is fine. 9.0 may be pushing it but if you're careful with volume it's doable.

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Sean.

"The Goliath III cabinet comes with four 10" PAS bass drivers and a Foster horn for clarity. It's able to handle 700 watts and the will give you frequency response down to 40Hz. The Goliath works with any of SWR's pro heads, and is extremely durable, made of high-grade plywood, with stamped steel, vibration-free grill, and a metal input panel.

Features
    Bottom Slot Port

Spring Loaded Rubber Grip Handles

Black Ozite Carpeting with Stack Lock Corners

Chrome Stamped Steel Vibration-Free Grill

High Quality Metal Input Panel with Heavy-Duty Attenuator

1/4 in. In/Out and Speakon Jacks

Horn Protection Circuit

Removable Casters

Speaker Compliment
    (4) 10" PAS Drivers
    (1) Foster Horn
    Technical Info
    Power Handling: 700 watts RMS

Impedance: 8 ohms

Frequency Response & SPL: 105 dB SPL @ 1W1M (-3dB @ 40Hz and 15KHz)

Suggested Amplifiers: SM-900, Bass 750, SM-500, Bass 350

Dimensions (H x W x D): 25.25 x 23 x 18.375 in.

Weight: 89 lbs."

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SWRGOLIATHIII

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I used a very similar rig many years ago, SVT 3pro and Goliath II. One of the reasons I stopped using it was lack of power. At one time I had a Goliath III as well. I think you need about 500 watts into the speaker to push it adequately and get good volume and sound. The 9.0 gets around that wattage at 8 ohm. The shuttle 6.0 is 375 and the SVT 3pro is about 275

5. tramp

tramp

Mar 5, 2004
    South Louisiana
    If I get a Shuttle 6 and a 350 Watt 8 ohm - 210 cab and later add another 350 watt 8 ohm - 210 cab, it will boost the Shuttle power to 600 watts. Will the two cabs give me 700 watts of speakers power that will handle the 600 watts the Shuttle is putting out?

6. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    Shuffle? Is that a new model? :)

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    you know what I mean...:D

I have my ipod in my hand listening to music. Got confused! LOL

8. DirtyThunder

DirtyThunder

Sep 27, 2009
    thanks for the help

9. DirtyThunder

DirtyThunder

Sep 27, 2009
    if the shuttle 6.0 gives 375 watts at 8ohm and 600 at 4, does that mean that when i connect it to both my Goliath III and another piece (son of bertha, big ben maybe?) i will get 600 watts output into both speakers or 300 into each one? also, is it pointless to add a 2x10 cab to my 4x10 cab? am i wise in looking for a larger speaker to compliment my 4x10? thanks

10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Assuming both are 8 ohm (so you get a 4 ohm load) you will get 300 into each.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Freddels covered you with the wattage split. And that's why I wouldn't use a 210 with a 410. What matches up best with a 410 IMHO is another 410 just like it. Then you have an 810, and you move up to the level of "ass-kicking." And you have a 410 for the smaller stuff. Whether you do it with two 410's or a single 810, it's the way to go for a large rig unless you get into a 2 or 3 way PA style setup, which sounds quite different.