1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 Impedance?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FuzzBoxVoodoo, Mar 21, 2009.

1. I have a question for our Genz Benz Tech.
    I have noticed when you Ohm check a Cab (which I allways do at first) that a 8 Ohm rated Cab will read 6.2 ish and a 4 Ohm rated cab will read 3.1 and the amp is rated at 4 Ohms stable but the speaker cabs at idle read lower,should I worry about running the Shuttle at 3.1 Ohms.
    Thanks for your time

2. That is the DC resistance not the impedance. Different animals.

Paul

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The amp never sees the DC resistance, which varies from maybe 5 ohms to 7.5 ohms for a NOMIMAL 8 ohm speaker.

The higher impedance is resistance to AC current flow due to inductance and capacitance in the circuit. The inductance and capacitance is due to both electrical and mechanical effects in a speaker.

4. Thanks for the Clarification.
    That would explain why some speakers such as Eden's read very low like 2.67 ohms for a 4 ohm rated speaker but yet is in perfect shape.
    I will continue to check speakers to make sure that they are the right Impedance but now I know that the reading it isnt the actual load that the Amp will see.
    Steve